Barra Run Off Charter Operators

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
thebigbaz

Barra Run Off Charter Operators

Post by thebigbaz »

Just wanted to get some suggestions on some operators for 6-8 people looking to fish the run off in April. I saw a previous thread and saw suggestions on Obsession, Spring Tide and Barra and crab but the prices were bl..dy expensive! We're looking to go with the guys who run Point Stuart Wilderness Lodge and they seem reasonable (under $400). Anyone know if they're decent operators? Any other operators? The ones I've come across are $600+/day!

Also a neighbour of mine said if it's a good wet season it will mean a good barra runoff? So heaps of rain in Jan/Feb = awesome?
Looks like it might be alright going by the BOM!

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/outlooks/ ... seasonal/0

Settlersjoy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Barra Run Off Charter Operators

Post by Settlersjoy »

I'm looking for a Daly charter on Saturday but I too am finding the $300 per person wayyyyy to high! If take my boat of my car wasn't playing up
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

More rain with regular top ups will improve the chance of a good run off. While no guide can guarantee fish, you do get what you pay for. Obsession, Spring Tide, Reel Screaming and Vision Sportfishing are popular for good reason. I would also give Stuart a call from the Barra Resort on the Daly. He is really dialed into that river
NBN
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NBN »

Would be surprised if there are many vacant days in April; I'd get in quick if you're serious.

might also try

http://www.ntsportfishing.com.au/

Russell Draper (Kerry & Wally's son) at the Banyan Farm has taken over the business from Andrew Darby. Rusty has been known to catch the odd barra from the Daly. Ideally you would fish between Easter and the Barra Nationals, otherwise stick to Shady.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

Too expensive, really? I get paid alright in the order of $350 per day, probably similar to a lot of us here, by no means excessive. My overheads are nowhere near what it would cost to run a charter business. I would evaluate the price on what it would take to run a professional charter yourself. A day's pay, fuel, maintenance, insurance, food, gear, depreciation funds, administration, advertising, some form of profit, etc.....

That said, it is out of my budget constraints, which is why I don't go on charters.
coastaljoy
Seadog
Seadog

Post by coastaljoy »

The guys at point stuart know the area really well, also Pete at territory guided fishing is a good operator
he fishes he fishes he fishes its the only thing in life all he ever gets is hell from his fed up wife
Edo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Edo »

Is Justin Jones still around?
Settlersjoy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Settlersjoy »

i think its about the same for tassie tuna charters. For me i would prefer a charter. saves me driving the car and driving the boat all day, can concerntrate on fishing and sinking cans. When im talking expensive it depends on what week i pay bills ;)
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Justin Jones isn't guiding in the NT now.
Fruity
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Fruity »

Second, Pete at Territory Guided fishing.

http://www.ntfishing.com.au/
Cheers :cheers:
Fruity

Fishing is a condition of mind wherein you cannot possibly have a bad time.
Zane Grey.