Beginner's luck: Is it real?

Quiz FFF members on fishing and outdoors topics using the forum polling function

Yes
74%
No
26%

Total votes: 19

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

It has happened to most of us - the first-timer cracks the big fish, or a young son or daughter pulls the fish out from under our nose.

Is beginner's luck real?

john d
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Beginner's luck: Is it real?

Post by john d »

Definatley YES, one of the blokes working with us just came up from perth early this year.
He was invited out to shady for a fish in the first few weeks he was here and got a metery straight away. :clap:
Keep telling him it was beginners luck as i have been up here 26 years and still haven't got one. :banghead:
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

I'm saying no but just because for every beginner's luck story you hear about, there are probably 500 you dont hear about, and they catch nothing
alfie
Seadog
Seadog

Post by alfie »

Yup and I still don't want to talk about it. Lol
john d
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by john d »

Out with it alfie.
You might just feel better. :rofl:
alfie
Seadog
Seadog

Post by alfie »

In short been out fished (size and numbers) by every southerner (deployed staff), I've taken out in the last 12 months. Nope still don't feel better, lol. :bricks: :bricks:
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

I'm taking a beginner out today , so I'll let you know ,,,or not :lolpoint:
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

It's not beginners luck it is the skill and knowledge of you taking them to your spot with the right gear,bait ,lure etc and the fish just happen to find their bait or lure before it found yours
That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it LOL
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

shaggs wrote:It's not beginners luck it is the skill and knowledge of you taking them to your spot with the right gear,bait ,lure etc and the fish just happen to find their bait or lure before it found yours
That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it LOL
But it happens every facking time.
shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by shaggs »

Yeah I know
I've taken 2 fellas out to Shady for their first barra and both caught fish over a meter and one of them on 3kg pretest line that was a few years old
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Well a lot true in what shaggs has said , I took 2 newbies out
to Bass rf for dawn fish yesterday and got outfished .
They showed up with cr.p rods and reels . They got smoked every time
and lost a lot of good fish . So I got down my spare Venoms & Saltist ,
rigged for them with decent line and leader.
And yes they nailed the 3 best goldies for the trip :banghead:

Beginners Luck ,,,yeah right :P
darwinguy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by darwinguy »

I am a believer !!
I have been up here 15 years and fished pretty hard the whole time. For example my boat I bought in Dec 09 has 760hrs on it now for only 5 yrs old. And I work away full time. Anyway I have had some pretty good runs in the past with cricket score catch's on Barra and Reefies. I estimate it took me over 1000 barra before I got my first 1M barra. I have caught multiple numbers in each of the sizes in the 80's and 90's including 3 x 99cm models. Then I got one. High five to me. After that I put about 5 other people onto 1M+ barra while taking them out on a trip trolling, a joke going round my mates they were calling me the meter maker, including a mate from Adelaide who had only ever been fishing once before in his life - caught a 104cm in the south Ali. Funnily enough I have caught 3 x 1M+ since my first 1M. The guys at fishing and outdoor world used to joke around with me about my good luck with so many barra and bad luck with no meteries. I even drove down to do an Qld dam impoundment fish to get my first metery and only got 2 in the 90's for the whole trip with 5 dams fished.

One sure way of catching one is advertise on here as a newbie, wear the wrong gear, take no fishing gear only a surf rod and alvey, take no beer and speak with an accent and only offer 50 dollars for fuel. (even though $200 went in the cruiser and $200 in the boat)
Guaranteed to get a 1M+ Barra or bag out on reefies for sure.
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

Well I'm a believer after putting the father in law onto a 127cm donkey for his first barra. He did absolutely everything you shouldn't. High sticking the rod, slack line, etc,etc. The fish even broke through the net, dislodged the lure and landed in the bottom of the boat! Luckiest catch ever!