MHX rod blanks

olfart
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: MHX rod blanks

Post by olfart »

Worth a bottle of Jacks every time, reckon I'll get a few more yet.
Three and counting, thanks. :D

" YOUTH is a GIFT "
"AGE is an ART "
"Doesn't mean you get any smarter..just wrinkled and cracked".

"No angler watches nature in a passive way...He enters into its very existence." (John Bailey...Reflections on a Waters Edge)

"Govern a Family as you would catch a small fish....Very Gently." (Chinese Proverb)

"Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish." (Rafael Sabatini...1857-1950)

I pray that one day God sends me a fish so big that, when talking of it...I have no reason to lie.
hottuna
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hottuna »

I've built and fished with a few. Here's a MHX Steelhead blank in action
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bluewater Dreamin'
blw
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by blw »

ken_dog wrote:
olfart wrote:Nah mate, bet Mrs OF I could get a bite without leaving the room. :naughty: Won that one hands down. :D
It's called trolling, not a new concept, though usually reserved for rebellious teenagers :|
he is a teenager at heart Haha. :grin:

cheers Brent
rfishn
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by rfishn »

made a 9 wt fly mhx, stoked with it, made for under $200 it performs like a rod 3 times more expensive, def plan to make my own rods out of these now.
RNR
Seadog
Seadog

Post by RNR »

as usual another post taken over by a knob head
if you have nothing constructive to say keep ya mouth shut
olfart
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by olfart »

Number 4, thanks for your contribution. :D
Only a true 'knobhead would have been suckered after being told the game. :mrgreen:
Obviously lacking in comprhension skills, or, perhaps didn't like the idea that someone would source the mfgr, and suggest something else might be better value, as an answer to the question asked.
Either way, I'm up another bottle of Jacks. 8)
" YOUTH is a GIFT "
"AGE is an ART "
"Doesn't mean you get any smarter..just wrinkled and cracked".

"No angler watches nature in a passive way...He enters into its very existence." (John Bailey...Reflections on a Waters Edge)

"Govern a Family as you would catch a small fish....Very Gently." (Chinese Proverb)

"Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish." (Rafael Sabatini...1857-1950)

I pray that one day God sends me a fish so big that, when talking of it...I have no reason to lie.
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

hottuna

Thanks for the photos. Is that one of the high modulus ones? Don't often see a white rod.

Interested in your comment about blanks being overrated in some areas. Can you expand on that a little please?

I'm gunna build another rod as a project and am sorting out a choice of blank.

rfishn

Thanks for the input.

Where do u use the flyrod?
Regards
Ronje
hottuna
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hottuna »

Hey Ronje,
That was a high modulus version. I selected it because it had a cast range that suited what I wanted. Generally I find mid range for the cast range is the sweet spot but with the MHX I found that despite it's cast weight being 15-30, it really struggled to cast anything on the lighter side. It casts 30grams a mile but will load all the way to the handle to do it and has a very slow recovery. Not surprising with a Steelhead blank, but annoyingly obvious in this instance. It seemed to also lack the power that I get from lighter blanks. My mate is currently testing some of the new blanks and he reckons they are abit stiffer for their actions and not as sloppy. If I was to build another one, I'd select a blank atleast a rating above what I would normally use. IE if I wanted a medium action i'd order a fast taper blank. I've also noticed they have very thin walls and although they have stood up well so far, I find myself being very careful with the load I put on them and my thread tensions when building.
Overall they have done the job they were built for, but not to the standard I expect
All my customs are built white, just love the look of them
Bluewater Dreamin'
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Hi RNR

How did u end up with the rods?
Regards
Ronje
rfishn
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by rfishn »

Been using it for my larger Barra flies, will use it for the tuna when i get a chance, but a bit afraid, not quite ready to break it with no warranty, and having spent a few hours making it ;0)
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Hi

I've made up 2 x 7ft rods from high modulus blanks from MHX. One is a 12-20 lb.

Other is a 10 - 17 lb mag bass MB 843. I used Recoil guides and cork grips and butt.

What surprises me is that the completed rod weighs 98 grams. 98!. Hard to believe.

Lightest rod I've had before is a 6'9'' 12 - 20lb Carrot Stick which weighs 120 grams. I thought that was light.

Pondering about it I thought that I'm using a 98 gram tool to catch a 20000 gram fish (a 120cm barra would go about 20kg).

That's a weight advantage of 200 times to the fish before the struggle starts.

What a long way technology has come in fishing to even attempt that. I'm yet to get one in on it of course but it'll happen.

Its a 57 million modulus graphite and very light. So it's probably brittle as well. Be no good for you Olfart with your high-stick style.
Regards
Ronje