Where are the NT's barra?

Quiz FFF members on fishing and outdoors topics using the forum polling function

Where are the NT barra?

Lower reaches of big rivers
19%
Along beaches/coastal rocks
25%
On shallow inshore reefs
No votes
Stuck in the billabongs
6%
Spread out everywhere
50%

Total votes: 52

ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Where are the NT's barra?

Post by ronje »

Hi

This time of year in CQ the barra line up in the shallower water off most of the rocky headlands. Heaps of them. They don't seem to move around much. Probably same in NT.

Went barra fishing the other day just off one rocky outcrop at mouth of Fitzroy. Sunny but cold. Water temp of 19.1 degrees.

10 caught (all on plastics) with 6 keepers up to high 70s. Couple of blue salmon and 1 finger-mark (goldie).

Regards
Ronje
Camfish
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Camfish »

STANDY wrote:Camfish

Heaps of the biggest GTs as big as they get last week (and shooting heaps of feral cats the size of pigs)

(and i mean alot!) of barra this week

Posts with pics 0

it wasnt the size of a pig mate, it was just a big feral cat, and we all know gun point beach has some monster GT's, 20-30kg's , go there on day break and drive up to the aboriginal land point on a high tide, look at the massive tail's comeing out! (i never caught one just saw them)

and the barra where a surprise, just a casual walk along the beach left me shocked, i could go back but i would be breaking the law, some black fella's came down and said i was on aboriginal land (theres no sign's) so i have not gone back.
Fish Tank
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Fish Tank »

Camfish wrote:

Heaps of the biggest GTs as big as they get last week (and shooting heaps of feral cats the size of pigs)

(and i mean alot!) of barra this week

Posts with pics 0

it wasnt the size of a pig mate, it was just a big feral cat, and we all know gun point beach has some monster GT's, 20-30kg's , go there on day break and drive up to the aboriginal land point on a high tide, look at the massive tail's comeing out! (i never caught one just saw them)

and the barra where a surprise, just a casual walk along the beach left me shocked, i could go back but i would be breaking the law, some black fella's came down and said i was on aboriginal land (theres no sign's) so i have not gone back.
I smell a rat :bs:
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Camfish wrote:

said i was on aboriginal land (theres no sign's) so i have not gone back.
If that's Tree Point you mean (near the rock), it definitely isn't indigenous land. I was physically threatened and told I would be shot there once.
Camfish
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Camfish »

theodosius wrote:
Camfish wrote:

said i was on aboriginal land (theres no sign's) so i have not gone back.
If that's Tree Point you mean (near the rock), it definitely isn't indigenous land. I was physically threatened and told I would be shot there once.
I parked at the rocks and went for a stroll down the beach, Toward Howard river mouth got about 300 mtrs max before dealing with an aggressive aboriginal bloke wavering a spear around.
ponyplay
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ponyplay »

Camfish wrote:

I parked at the rocks and went for a stroll down the beach, Toward Howard river mouth got about 300 mtrs max before dealing with an aggressive aboriginal bloke wavering a spear around.
he proabably is a FFF reader and took offence to all the dreamtime fishing stories ya been yarning about last few years :D
STANDY
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by STANDY »

Captain Cook had the same thing Camfish.
A Fish in the Boat is Worth Five in the Shop.
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

Nah camfish is right there are a few black fellas down that end that try and stop people going down there I know one Ofthe families and there cocks and pretty wild too !!
They threaten everyone that goes down there it all started after some one run over a nesting turtle in front of there house one night since then they have been on a war path ! Can't blame them about that the tyre tracks on the beach apparently swerved to hit it too so they said !
Camfish
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Camfish »

Is it there land though? Or am I going to have to research harder on this?
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

Dunno with this high court cr.p going on but it wouldn't be under blue mud bay I don't think ?
smed
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by smed »

I knew a bloke years ago that got bogged down there. The local crew got the backhoe out & dug a trench around his car while letting him know that he was trepassing. There used to be a 'do not proceed beyond this point' sign down there, which he had ignored. If I remember rightly, he had to pay to be removed from his predicament.
.......As for where the big girls are, buggered if I know.
Kirnal
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Kirnal »

I was fishing near the rock one arvo and got out of the boat to throw a cast net. I also had a ranting fwit come down in a buggy telling me to get off his land. I researched it a bit and as far as I could find out it was not his land so next time I am down there I wont be as cooperative.
Unless someone can clear this up a bit more.
It was not like I was causing anyone or anything any great harm by walking on the sand.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

Is this the spot? If so then the western portion of land is in fact private and east portion is aboriginal land.

Sucks to be us.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

They own the land I know that it's an aboriginal reserve in there I had permission to hunt it howard tonners :) but the beach I'm not sure about !
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »