land based crabbing report and request for unwanted traps.

Catch and cook a seafood buffet, with or without barramundi.
YZ250
Gold Member
Gold Member

land based crabbing report and request for unwanted traps.

Post by YZ250 »

Put the pots out three weeks ago at my usual land based spot and loaded them with some chicken frames that I got for free from Leonards. went back the next morning to to collect them and there was one dead small crab in a pot with obvious damage from a much bigger crab that was absent. upon closer inspection I realised my trap had been cut open by some thieving mug who had slid up in a boat to check his pots that were set nearby. I guess it wouldn't be a territory crab eexperience without getting ripped off but by Christ it made me angry. I have been working hard for no reward on the crab front since Christmas and when I finally get one some selfish germ knocks it off.

anyway I'm not beaten. I have my dad coming up soon and want to get some more traps for when he is here as I currently only have two. I don't mind fixing them if they are ripped up and will pay beer or cash. if anyone has any they don't need sling me a pm and we will work something out.

cheers

bigglen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: land based crabbing report and request for unwanted trap

Post by bigglen »

Hay mate I have 3 solid wire mesh pots at the shop ko-tackle in winnellie you can come pick up from Monday morning at 9am they are not colapsable so they are a little bulky but have never seen the water,

Give me a buzz and let me know if your keen for them
0404 731555

Cheers Gleno
UncleD
Seadog
Seadog

Post by UncleD »

I have a solid trap (metal/not collapsible) that I pulled out of the mud as rubbish but was intact so couldn't bring myself to chuck it....used and abused but all good. Can have it if you want.
My Giddy Aunt!
smed
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by smed »

I've got three or four old round pots you can have if you want. They are collapsable. No floats,though.
YZ250
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by YZ250 »

thanks heaps for all the offers fellas. I picked up a couple of collapsible pots through this post and don't want to hog all the territory hospitality by taking all the generous offers here. really appreciate it though. here's hoping that with a few more pots out I will be able to show my old man what mud crab tastes like.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Still want mine?
STIKAPIG
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by STIKAPIG »

Lucky buggers up north getting to use traps,can only use dillies pots here in the west,not sure if you still can but when I lived in Darwin my mate and I use to use a hand line and scoop net behind the uni to get a few muddies. Good fun and gives you a bit of a challenge!