Humminbird 798 coming in, questions about the transducer

theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Humminbird 798 coming in, questions about the transducer

Post by theodosius »

G'Day,

After missing Blinky's 797SI for sale the other day, I got captivated with the idea of side imaging. My limited budget has only stretched to the 798 SI, but I can't wait till it gets here so I can try it out. I have a couple of questions:

Does anyone know where in Darwin I could buy/make/bodge a thick piece of plastic to mount the transducer bracket to? Like this http://www.sternsaver.com/

And also, I heard the transducer can bust off, which bit of it is this & what speeds are we talking?

Cheers,

Jack

fishfanatic
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Humminbird 798 coming in, questions about the transducer

Post by fishfanatic »

Theo
I would not worry about mounting the transducer on plastic, you still have to either drill the plastic to the ally boat OR take a chance and secure it with Silastic. :|
Much better off to go to an ally welder and get them to weld an aluminium bracket to the hull to mount the ducer to (see pic)

If you still decide to go the plastic way, the best thing to use would be one of those plastic kitchen chopping boards :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'Take me drunk, I'm home"
Unknown

"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth".
John F. Kennedy

"The first principle of a free society is an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum"
Adlai E. Stevenson

"We are willing enough to praise freedom when she is safely tucked away in the past and cannot be a nuisance. In the present, amidst dangers whose outcome we cannot foresee, we get nervous about her, and admit censorship".
Forster, Edward

"Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear"
George Orwell

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
by Anonymous
Swoffa
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Swoffa »

I have got a piece of 18mm plastic (chopping board) that would suit perfectly if you want it.

Cheers

Warren
What angler can cross over a bridge without peering over its side
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

Yup, thick chopping board sikaflexed to to the transom is the go.
The ABS plastic brackets break on the mounting piece and also the piece that actually holds the 'ducer. All bar one of my breakages (nine in total) were due to nothing more than water pressure, the other was from drifting into cr.p.........
The ABS brackets are absolute rubbish as far as I'm concerned.
If you have any worries I'll make you an aluminium bracket if you like, they are not cheap at $85 (it takes me about three hours to manufacture plus materials), but you'll never have a broken bracket again...........
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mako »

Theodosius, the 798 is a great unit, the external GR50 antenna is far superior to the internal antenna. Buy a 2GB Sandisk Sd card($7 from JB-Hi Fi) so you can take snapshots and make recordings, download a free program called Hummviewer to view your recordings and see all that you missed on the water. Mark waypoints using hummviewer and open in Google Earth. Download Humminbird PC to manage your waypoints. Have not had a transducer bracket break as yet (40-50Km/hour). Transducer position needs to be pretty sharp, cutting board should work fine and allow for adjustments. Lots of info here about side imaging, http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index ... coespccl11. :mrgreen:
NathanL
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NathanL »

ive broken three or four transducer brackets now - i made a similar solution to blinky in the end.
otherwise a great unit! i have never washed it or looked after it in any way either.
i have an internal GPS antenna one and it works fine.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Got a great piece of plastic from NT Plastic & Acrylics from the offcut bin for $5.

The 798 has arrived, $770.06 to my door. Can't wait to try it out!!
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Its the external GPS model & you're right Mako, its very quick to pick up a signal compared to my previous GPSs
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

mako wrote: Lots of info here about side imaging, http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index ... coespccl11. :mrgreen:
Mako that is a great site. Does anyone know of a Lowrance equivalent?
got-none
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by got-none »

where can i buy one for that price jack? can you send me the link, i need to get a new sounder so i might go the whole hog and be a copy cat
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" -Albert Einstein-
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

It was the last one at that price!
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Fitted & ready to go. Might try to take it out at night after work tomorrow, put some LED lights inside and hi-power leds outside the gunwhales at the same time
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Ended up fitting it without a plastic backing so it would work even with the motor trimmed right down (or is that tilted?)

Took the boat out to Corroboree last night to play with the electronics. I'm really happy with the sounder, great pictures & a million functions!

Stoked with the LEDs too- the in-gunwhale ones are very handy & my bright LED bars around the outside look very cool. Mullet & tarpon were jumping in the boat last night becaus ethe bright light scared them!

Saw a croc on the sidescan, very cool picture. Also had something quite big bash into the boat, I don't like to say it but it may have been a croc :S

No barra unfortunately, but my excuse is I was too focussed on the sounder!