Tips for catching Barra in the Harbour & West Arm Report

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Brent Matthews
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Tips for catching Barra in the Harbour & West Arm Report

Post by Brent Matthews »

Just thought I'd post some tips for catching Harbour Barra, especially with the cost of fuel being $1.35 a litre.

1) Most Creeks in the harbour need a minimum 2.0 low to fish well.

2) Fish East Arm / Middle arm on tides with a low smaller than 1.0 metres.

3) Fish Woods Inlet / West Arm on tides with a low between 1.0 and 2.0 metres.

4) Spend your time fishing 3 hours before the low to two hours after the low.

5) The first of the incoming is productive, make sure you are ready with livies or lures, the fish will often fire before you notice the tide coming in.

6) As a general rule try rockbars on the middle of a run out tide, then 2 hours before the low work the gutters/snake drains that that will become exposed as the tide drops. At the bottom of the tide have a beer and lunch, then just before the tide comes in work the edges of rockbars or eddies on bends.

7) Back your drag off! - It makes the fish look bigger and is more fun, you will land more fish because you wont pull the hooks.

8) If you get a hit or a hookup work that area intensly, record the time and place (GPS) and time/size of the tide for next time.

9) Any big flats area that borders deep water and has snake drains will hold fish at times, this is usually about 2 hours before the low.

10) Down size your lures, most harbour fish are small 50 - 60cm, and you will catch goldies and jacks on smaller lures.

11) If you arent bumping bottom on a cast or troll, occassionally, then your lure probably isnt in the strike zone. Same goes for a mullet.

12) If you see a school of mullet crusing past cast just behind them.

13) Fish one area only until you work it out, then record the details and move to the next area, until you have your own info built up.

14) Keep a fishing Diary, I am upto 3 years of weekly / biweekly entries.

15) Ask every one you meet how they catch fish, write it down in your diary.

WEST ARM REPORT

Fished West Arm Sunday.
It was a bit quiet, we got 2 barra both 60cm, 3 goldies and a mangrove jack.
All on lures.

Heres the Pics.

The apprentices out fished the Master on this particular day! It was Ed's first Barra.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cheers
BD

'May your fishing spots be silted and your hooks on backwards'
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

That's not a RAAFie I see sookin' in the background is it :grin: :grin: :grin:
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
Shane Doevy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Great report

Post by Shane Doevy »

Brent,
TOP REPORT mate - must admit the harbour has been a bug bear of mine - some great tips there - will give them a go next time i venture out into the harbour - however from past record i will need all the help i can get to actually catch a barra in the harbour.

Cheers mate :bow:

Shane
Work is what i do to pay for fishing!!
justin
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by justin »

i would agree with that report the harbour has plenty of barra and all the other fish. :grin:
Fishhard reel service a cast past the rest
shauno
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by shauno »

Fantastic tips Brent always good to hear how other people are doing it especially when they are catching fish :mrgreen: I was over West Arm myself on Sunday we got nothing except sunburnt and drunk. We fished the first creek on the right going to the top of the creek to get some livies and then drift out with the tide casting lures and dragging a couple of livies out the back. Also trolled some lures along the banks out front, for not even a sniff.
Feeling Lucky
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Feeling Lucky »

Great report Brent :clap: It's about time someone got on here without fear and give other less anglers a chance of catching a fish or 2 :clap: :mrgreen: , instead of all the secret squiral stuff well done mate.

Cheers

FL
Mad Keen
My job is just a fill in between fishing trips.
harmsey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by harmsey »

brent that is lengendary stuff. agree with every point. not much of a harbour fisher myself but might try with a bit more confidence after that info. great stuff :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Timbo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Timbo »

Thanks Brent, Your a champ top report! If i was any good at fishing the harbour i would have done the same thing. :mrgreen: If anyone would like some tips on baoting i can give heaps, well a few, there really isn't much to it :|
Failure is only an event, Not a lifestyle
GLS
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by GLS »

I have tried on quiet a few occasion to fill in a fishing diary, always ends in tears with my computer blowing up or my diary getting lost. Any way great report, I think Ill give some of your choice tips a go this weekend

Glen :cheers: :cheers: :clap: