What to spool my calcutta 400b with

Emil
Gold Member
Gold Member

What to spool my calcutta 400b with

Post by Emil »

The fishing gods have been kind and my first calcutta is my birthday present :cheers: .
Now, considering the jewies on the stormy weekend on the Adelaide :captain: , and tossing a mullet down that creek the weekend before :sweat: , what lb braid do you guys recommend I spool it up with?

thanks in advance

cheers,
Emil
nagz
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: What to spool my calcutta 400b with

Post by nagz »

50lb fins i reckon.
When asked by a non-fisherman "how many fishing rods do you actually need?", the correct response is either:
A) n+1 (where n is the number if rods you currently have); or

B) n-1 (where n is the number of rods which would cause your other half to dump you)
Emil
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Emil »

I was wondering whether it would still carry enough, thinking maybe a bit lighter might be the way to go.
Happy to have the extra oomph on the jewies mind you!
Not ever having had one, am wondering how much it will hold
cheers,
Emil
Dazza Mac
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dazza Mac »

I run 30lb FINS on mine for Bazza'sand that's heaps. Up to you though. They hold a shite load of line so you will have a bit to play with if you go 30.
Emil
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Emil »

and you guys are both happy with Finns?
Used 20lb in a comp a couple of years back and kept on snapping it tying albrights, no matter how much spit I used!
cheers,
Emil
olfart
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by olfart »

Emil, Bandit(spectra usa) is pretty good. I use 50lb on me TRB80 spin, and 30lb on the Revo. Never had a drama, and stopped some big stuff with both. Best part is, its easier on the hip pocket. Being round section, it won't 'dig in' when under big load(2mtre shark) and it casts a mile. I'm not a follower of fashion so I tend to use gear based on what works well rather than what happens to be the 'in' thing at the time. Funny thing tho'.. I never spit on the knot when pulling up an albright, and I've never had one let go..Used to put a drop of s/glue on the tag end to stiffen it so i could cut it flush.. but don't even bother with that nowadays. The 50 is about the dia of 30 fins, and I only use masking tape on the spool, can fit 300yd on the TRB(2spools of line), and nearly the same on the Revo(30 smaller dia again), if the spool is drilled you won't need backing. Cheers.. graham
" YOUTH is a GIFT "
"AGE is an ART "
"Doesn't mean you get any smarter..just wrinkled and cracked".

"No angler watches nature in a passive way...He enters into its very existence." (John Bailey...Reflections on a Waters Edge)

"Govern a Family as you would catch a small fish....Very Gently." (Chinese Proverb)

"Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish." (Rafael Sabatini...1857-1950)

I pray that one day God sends me a fish so big that, when talking of it...I have no reason to lie.
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Hi Emil

As everybody says, 50lb on a 400. I've had 3 X 400s now and had 30 on them each. Last trip I got busted off a couple of times (not barra) so have upgraded it to 50kb.

It'll hold 300 yds of 50 ok 'cos of the width of the spool. Its one of the few reels that engages the level wind on cast so the line comes off at 90 degrees and isn't pulled off at an acute angle thus increasing friction and reducing cast distance.

It also has a ratchet to live bait easily with.

If u'd asked ne a couple of years ago I'd have said spiderwire but not now.

German Flockert is the best I've come across over the uears and use it quite a bit. Its not easy to find but its damned good line.

US made Power=Pro is a good honest and competitivelly priced braid. Watch out for chinese stuff in the Power Pro packaging.

Just don't go for any of that "fused/heat treated stuff (fireline - spiderwire stealth or similar glide technology).

Have a look at the website of the fella who does all the braid testing. He's also a forum member.
Regards
Ronje
steele
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by steele »

Linesystem Frog 8 PE Braid 50lb/300m
Best quality line i have ever used. Pricey but well worth it...
2943_frog8braidlarge.jpg
You can get it here...

http://www.hotbite.com.au/content/onlin ... -50lb/300m
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Big Fish Action
Trier
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Trier »

Hi Emil PM sent yesterday (nothing to do with spooling reels!).

:o Ouch Steele, I pay less than that for rod and reel combo's (I can't justify the good gear at this stage)! A bit similar to when we bought a rabbit for our little boy - it was only $15, but the far ken flash cage was nearly $300! For that price you would reckon they could have sold the cage and thrown in a free rabbit! ie., in your case buy your line and they should through in a free reel!!
Last edited by Trier on Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers,

Ash
-----------------

If it doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer and hit it harder!

'You can't have mudcrabs without mud'. My son John
Emil
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Emil »

like the dog that the kids paid for that has cost me over 7k in vet bills?

50kg it is, thanks fellas.
Thought it was you Ash
cheers,
Emil
olfart
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by olfart »

Emil wrote:like the dog that the kids paid for that has cost me over 7k in vet bills?

50kg it is, thanks fellas.
Thought it was you Ash
50 LB Emil, Ya don't need a tow rope. :wink:
" YOUTH is a GIFT "
"AGE is an ART "
"Doesn't mean you get any smarter..just wrinkled and cracked".

"No angler watches nature in a passive way...He enters into its very existence." (John Bailey...Reflections on a Waters Edge)

"Govern a Family as you would catch a small fish....Very Gently." (Chinese Proverb)

"Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish." (Rafael Sabatini...1857-1950)

I pray that one day God sends me a fish so big that, when talking of it...I have no reason to lie.
Emil
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Emil »

I did mean that, honest.!
cheers,
Emil
Emil
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Emil »

2 rods, you're a man of much experience with these matters, throw your 2 bobs worth in here.
Tried to pm you but it is still sitting in my outbox, along with the message I sent you when I joined?????
cheers,
Emil
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

I like Finns.... Or if you have the extra $$ daiwa braid...

30 pound for casting but if your going to drag some deep divers up over the rock bars use 50 pound or a bit bigger if in tiger country... Remember if you use bigger poundage line you will need better hooks and good leader line 80 pound snyder or jinki RED.. .
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
ken_dog
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ken_dog »

Emil wrote:and you guys are both happy with Finns?
Used 20lb in a comp a couple of years back and kept on snapping it tying albrights, no matter how much spit I used!
Varying opinions on Finns is interesting; i experienced similar "snapping" issues under minimal load last time i trialled it and yet i constantly hear reports from people who swear by it, although also quite a few to the contrary. :?