Where to go on dead neaps?

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
jasonmcc
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Where to go on dead neaps?

Post by jasonmcc »

Just looking at the tides for this weekend, there is hardly anymovement. Where does everyone go when the tides are like this. I have never done very well anywhere on these sort of tides.

Cheers

Jason

...............Wishin' I was fishin'...............
Brent Matthews
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Brent Matthews »

I have found the best place to go on the dead neap tides is probably Bunnings, Mitre 10 or Supercheap. That way you can get all those things done, ie. Renovations, service the cars etc, All that stuff you were supposed to do all year but couldn't because it was runoff/good tides/build up etc.

This will ensure that when the next set of good tides come around you are in the good books.

That said a couple of spots fish okay on the dead neaps, The deep channel between the Vernons and the Mainland, the Deep holes in the two harbours ie Bynoe and Darwin Harbour.

If you work the creeks, work the rock bars and gravel beds.

Or just go to Corroboree, should be warming up out there.
Cheers
BD

'May your fishing spots be silted and your hooks on backwards'
Feeling Lucky
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Feeling Lucky »

I agree with you Brent. But if I was heading out maybe try a couple of wrecks off nightcliff(bottlewasher,rickmills etc). At least you won't have too much trouble anchoring up unless it is blowing a gale. I have some co ord's for rick mills if you won't them.

Cheers

F.L.
Mad Keen
My job is just a fill in between fishing trips.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Neaps

Post by Matt Flynn »

You can still catch barra on neap tides - fish livebait in creek holes, or get up before dawn and have a cast around the rocks at the mouth of Woods Inlet, the Shoal Bay rock, or the rocks between West Arm and Middle Arm. Fish just before sunup and make long casts as the water will be clear and shallow.

Or fish the billabongs.

Night barra fishing can be good on neaps, especially out at The Rock in Shoal Bay.

North and South Gutter are worth a look for reef fish on neaps, and it's a good time to troll for sailfish and marlin. The Vernon Islands are good on neaps, mainly because it isn't really fishable or safe there on spring tides, although you can lock yourself into the Blue Holes on a spring low and catch fish.

Next set of spring tides should be good - I was out on Wednesday and caught a 71cm in Sadgroves Creek but the water was still 2C too cool and the fish were mostly just tapping lures. That will change on the next springs unless we have unusually cold weather.
Glenn
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Glenn »

I've never given the Vernons a good go on the neaps. I'm sure it would be great. But I like getting out that way on the spring tides. Especially when there is a low in the late afternoon.

We would sit at the eastern tip of Van Warick. The water screaming over the reef would creat big boils on the surface. Cast big poppers into those boils and wind fast. Big GTs peel off the reef and climb over each other to get at the lure. Exciting stuff.

Had a few days doing that where it was more of a challenge to get your popper back to the boat before it was smashed. :grin:
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body,

but rather to skid in sideways, Whopper in one hand, Beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!!!
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Vernons

Post by Matt Flynn »

Yes, there is some great GT and skinny action at the Vernons on big tides - I have seen some monster trevally caught around Smith Reef.

I don't recommend the area on springs though because of the safety factor. Bottom fishing is almost impossible in the deep water on springs, although there are a couple of large eddies that can be fished, but there are better places/ways/times to catch reefies.
Last edited by Matt Flynn on Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fishhead
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Fishhead »

ahhhh neap tides, love 'em. perfect for a weekend of trollin up skinnies and playin beach footy with the kids at bare sandy... coupla quiet g & t's and much contemplation about the nature of the universe!!!
but back to the topic, usually head for deeper water during the neaps. the deep area of bynoe, out past lorna, or north gutter.
well gotta finish packin the boat, have a great weekend...
tight lines! :fishing:
Andy Grey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Andy Grey »

Spear fishing off East Point is good.
http:www.andrewgreyphotography.com.au
Gold Can
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gold Can »

Strippers at Winnellie
The way to a fishermans heart is through his fly!!
BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraBeast »

Go on a Bat Fish frenzy at the lee point reefs!! you'll fill up the esky in 10minutes!! just kidding. :rofl:

why not try trolling deep divers over the shallows at Charles Point for jewies. been meaning to try it. could be cr.p though.

even the main shipping channel on the harbour near 6 mile will get you small reefies, see FF book.

local guru Chris Errity trolls the mouth of Leaders for Barra and jews, seen photo's, awsome.

But I'd go to tapa bay and target Jacks amoungs the rocks. small red/orange coloured lures. :smoking:
"in chemistry, Alcohol is a solution! "