Catalina Creeks

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Kevin Kevinson
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Catalina Creeks

Post by Kevin Kevinson »

Has anyone ever had much luck in the catalina creeks in east arm??

Other than one memorable bust up on a 90+ up the top of the right hand side creek back in the buildup in 2004, I have had very little luck up there even when it looks, feels and smells perfect.

There is a small rock/gravel bar midway up the r/h creek on the left side which has trolled up a few rats, but I am afraid the catalina creeks are approaching spot 6 for the "looks the goods, but rarely delivers" top spot.

Interested to hear what others think, and if they rate Sadgroves, Riechardts etc in front...

KK.

Cheers

KK (aka Hilly)

and then you nod your head like your saying YES to every beat...
(Homer J Simpson on listening to rock music)
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Catalinas

Post by Matt Flynn »

I have heard some good reports from the Catalinas and along the bank out the front. However Spot 6 is a legendary spot, if you have done badly there you have been unlucky or not fished at the right time.
Kevin Kevinson
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Kevin Kevinson »

I keep hearing everyone talk about spot 6, and i have been up there 6 or 7 times and it looks perfect, big tides, bait, the occaisional boof, but I am buggered if they will take a lure.

One day it will happen up there I spose.
Cheers

KK (aka Hilly)

flicker
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

spot 6

Post by flicker »

here's a pic of a nice morning session at spot 6 a while back , mates in another boat tied up about 20 m from me got 3as well as a couple of threadies all on big live mullet at the top of a 7.2 m tide, Tony Kaissis that used to run the show out there recons that the top of the spring tides were the go. I never fish out there mainly because its a pr..k of a place tide and access wise its either a short rushed trip or you are there for the duration. ps all fish in the pick are 78 cm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
you don't know if you don't give it a go
justin
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by justin »

where is spot 6 in the fishfinder book in the catalina creeks. i have fished those creeks once a week for the last 7 months and find them to be very productive :smile: . however i have not landed any legal barra for since april. i like the right hand one when heading south on the bend or the first feeder creek on the right.

always manage a feed of trevally and queenies.
Fishhard reel service a cast past the rest
Shane Doevy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Shane Doevy »

Justin
spot 6 that the guys are talking about are in the howard river system on the shoal bay pages of the fishfinder book.

Great to hear you are having some success in the catalinas - all i have evr caught over there is crabs but might have to give it a bit more attention.

Shane
Work is what i do to pay for fishing!!
BarraBase
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraBase »

Hi Kev, I've had great fishing in all those creeks especially Hudson, but the tide is essential. The tide needs to be 6.5mtrs or higher. When the tide is falling and as the water filters out through the mangroves cast fizzers around the mouth. Or on the first of the run-in tide, cast with bombers or fizzers. It must be calm, no wind or the edge will be muddy as duck.. hope this is helpful.
geoff..
Views expressed on this website are those of individuals and do not reflect the opinions of the website owner, or its operators, or other website users
Brent Matthews
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Brent Matthews »

Nah, I wouldnt fish the Catalina's if I were you.

They are full of nasty Powertail and sting rays, and if your lucky you might get a cod.

Plus the barra dont go in there because they are scared of the yellow bouys.... which are really radioactive beacons to mark a UFO abduction zone.

oh.. and there is a giant fisherman eating squid there that is known to take fishing boats. Thats if the 12M croc doesnt get you first...

Yep, best if everyone just stays well away from those catalina creeks just to be on the safe side. :angel:

Here is a pic of one of those nasty Powertail that we caught there as I was running from the giant squid.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
BD

'May your fishing spots be silted and your hooks on backwards'
chanos
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Pmsl

Post by chanos »

HaHa velly good brent, I know some more spots like that eh

chanos
Fishing is not a matter of life and death, it is far more serious than that.
Kevin Kevinson
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Kevin Kevinson »

Brent,

That is the best looking powertail I have seen in ages :clap: and the barra is pretty handy too.

Crikey you are game! if I called my missus a Powertail she would be have my guts for garters... :grin:
Cheers

KK (aka Hilly)