Garfish Dramas

If you are into billfish, this is your home.
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Garfish Dramas

Post by deepblack »

Hi All,
I'm sure I'm not the only one with dramas sourcing good Gars up here at the moment, I rigged 45 last night and of them none were what I would call in A1 condition with maybe a quarter being so poor that I decided to cross stitch the body and reserve them for the pitch bait because I doubted they would last as skip baits. The price is becoming an issue too with the price coming in at a dollar each unuseable baits are unacceptable! :evil:

So, with that in mind does anyone know any good spots for catching Gars they would be willing to share? Landbased would be preferable so I can sneak out after work during the week, but at the moment anywhere will do!

Cheers, :cheers:
John.

North Shore Reel Service 0400494401.
NathanL
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NathanL »

Just about anywhere dude?
Nightcliff beach/Jetty/behind the pool.
Larrakeyah/Lamaroo beach.
Myily Point/Cullen bay rock walls.
Prob not too many big ones around at the moment, june/july the big ones seem to move in. :catch:
Bill Collector
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Bill Collector »

Lee Point.
Chicken Pellets for berley
Peeled Prawn on a size 12 hook
Can't go wrong!
Gars should be there in numbers now, and will only get better
deepblack
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by deepblack »

Thanks for the replies guys,
Will go and check it out with the wind the way it is today I've got nothing better on now! :cry:

Cheers, :cheers:
John.
North Shore Reel Service 0400494401.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Lee Point.
Chicken Pellets for berley
Peeled Prawn on a size 12 hook
Can't go wrong!
Gars should be there in numbers now, and will only get better
Yep!

And you can dab them with a spotlight at night from a boat in the shallows.

Better check that its legal though :lol:
punter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by punter »

As NathanL said, I used to get them off the Nightcliff jetty. Try a light down there off the steps at night :wink:
Ricky Bobby: Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said..."I'm too drunk to taste this chicken."

Talladega Nights.....
Ernie
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ernie »

Can get them just about anywhere, I use bread for berly and squash some onto a hook.If you want bigger ones we had hundreds of em around 300 mm around the boat (berly) off Lee Pnt last week end,mate was catchen em 2-3 at a time on a bait jig and you can always chuck out for a chance at a mack.East Pnt of the rocks to the left of the gun turrets on the in comming is also another good place, can get some thumper black spots at times as well. :drinking1: :drinking1:
Live it and ENJOY
Cant save the world from idiots as they'll just build a better one!
Wouldn't need rules if people did the right thing!
PSST There maybe crocodiles in the water
double haul

Post by double haul »

Go get ya own mate the difference in bought bait n freshly caught will put ya catch rate through the roof. Last season i mixed them up a little n after the first trip they only came out when the local baits where used up. The reaction to frozen smelly mushy gars has to been seen to be belived.
I was a bit lazy first up this year n out of the 3 trips we did only 1 was on bait the other 3 were on lures. Im in the process of setting up a bait tank and im in the process of setting up to throw livies at the fussy buggers.
Dex38
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dex38 »

I spent most of my childhood catching garfish in Sth Aus. :fishing:

A pencil float with 1 to 1.5 meters of line under it with a small split shot and two - size 10 or 12 hooks is all that is needed.

Use bread and tuna oil and burley. Place the mix in an onion bag which will let out a bit at a time. They will sit out the back of your boat about 15 -20m back. With the pencil float they literally catch themselves. :catch:

We used maggots as bait, but squid will do. :naughty:

Dex
seano
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by seano »

Plenty of gars at east point from the ledge to the left of the gun turrent early morning high, bread for berley and bait, just hang on if one of the resident milkys grab your bait!

Return to “Marlin & Sailfish”