Finniss fresh sooty session

Your home if you fish from anything that isn't floating.
goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Finniss fresh sooty session

Post by goldfish »

So with the dry season about to drop the water temperature dramatically I headed down the finniss fresh with a mate and got into a few sooties on the 4- 10lb st croix spin gear.
The road out was graded recently so were easily doing 100 the whole way. We arrived without incedent and soon were rigging up our gear.

With the late rain leaving the plains soaked we had the quad with us to save a few km of walking we climbed aboard and headed out. The track was quite muddy still but we made it through in 4wd difflock. No other vehicles had been down to this area yet so expectations were running high as the fish hadn't seen a lure since october last year.

The rockbar in the deep pool we stopped at first produced a few follows but no bites so we moved further down. Even though the lures were a new thing to these fish a couple of casts was all it had taken to educate them. We soon found an area with a few smaller ones willing to have a go at our lures and soon we both had a few 4 - 1 in my favour. All our fish came from our first pass through the area. Working the same spots on the way back to the bike only resulting in follows and short strikes.

We moved spots again. I picked out a prime spot with a large snag jammed in the eddies and sent the lure out. Only just after i got the reel into gear the lure was smashed and a short but brutal battle ensued. I manged not to get bricked by sheer luck, some quick thinking and change of angles and was soon snapping a few pics of a nice sized sooty before returning it back into the pool. This sooty measured in at almost 41cm ......not too bad but still a fair way from topping my 55cm pb.

A fair few more were caught over the next hour, along with a couple of small barra. We kept one for a feed and cooked it up in foil over the coals after filleting it. It came up pretty good and we demolished it before loading the bike back onto the ute and heading back to civilization. A Good day out was had by all once again.

gotta love the territory. ...

Gear used :

Yozuri 3d crystal minnow 110mm and a samaki vibe.
4-10 lb st croix spin rod
Shimano Stradic ci 4
I run 20lb whiplash on it along with 45lb leader ....

so when I get a barra or big bream in the snags I at least have a bit of a chance. Best barra I've been lucky enough to land so far on this rod was 89cm landbased last month at the daly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by goldfish on Fri May 05, 2017 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tight lines 'n' keep the shiny side up people.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Finniss fresh sooty session

Post by theodosius »

Looks like.a nice spot
goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by goldfish »

Sure is ..

It's pretty inaccessible for the runoff but good camping and heaps of sooties throughout the dry. That was my first trip for the year. Heaps of water on the floodplains still ...won't take the ute down for a while yet.
goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by goldfish »

Kept getting flashbacks of the last one i got peeled by so with the tacklebox stocked up I headed back again. . .

I Unloaded the quad and soon was 10km off the road. Ploughing through the blacksoil ruts I pulled up at the hole we got the barra last trip and sent out the yozuri that I still had tied on from the lap through hardies. 2 small sooties were landed before i got creamed and snapped off through the snags by a better than average barra. The 20lb wasn't able to hold onto this brute in the area I'd hooked it and soon i was back up at the bike re rigging my line. :banghead:

With the water temperature already down a bit I headed even further afield to a pretty isolated spot we pioneered last dry. Using the chainsaw I removed a large log blocking access through last years crossing on one of the feeder creeks on the way down. Then was on my way . following a slight setback involving a hidden log in the high grass enroute.
(It was removed by sawing it out ) and after all that I was soon at the spot....

The legendary wallaby leg rapids. :mrgreen:

Named so because that's all that was left behind by a big saltie that lives there.

It feeds the next pool above the walkers ford. First cast into the prime spot alongside the bubble trail resulting in a solid hit by a barra in the 70's. I dropped it ...all on camera too. But got 4 sooties from the next 5 casts. Also on the gopro.
Fortunately the action was not over yet. not 2min later was hooked up on what must have been the unluckiest barra I've hooked all year after easily running my line through the snags it swum back out into the open after untangling itself. All while I went to fetch a decent stick to help remove it from the branches

Gotta win a few every now and then I suppose .

I released it after the usual pic. Once again I began casting the CD 9 up into the channel between the pools and was soon snapped back into the real world of fishing the snags in the finniss when another barra easily topping the 80cm bracket snapped my line after accellerating through the submerged paperbarks. Claiming my rapala as a souvenir of its victory.

Got a few more fish over the next 1 1/2 hours and some good footage on the gopro before heading back out and loading up to head for home.

Might give the trout rod a rest next time. $76 in lures lost out this way in the last 2 trips all on good sized barra.

:drinking8:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tap'n'Zap
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Tap'n'Zap »

Beautiful place mate, well done.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

That spot is mint.
goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by goldfish »

Yep...

It's a spectacular bit of the territory totally unspoilt by mugs. Mainly because of the effort it takes to get to it....
I've never been there and seen anyone else even attempting it. I had 26km on the bike when I loaded back up at the end of the day. Like I said the lures I threw were the first ones those fish had seen all year.

It's one of my favourites. Might even camp a night out there this dry if I can get a few bikes to head out.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Cracking sooties, and a nice bit of country, well done :mrgreen: