Maldives Honeymoon Adventure

Welcome to international visitors. And local members, tell us about your fishing holiday ...
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Maldives Honeymoon Adventure

Post by Lats »

Well what a honeymoon trip Julie and myself had to the Maldives. Let me first start by saying that if anyone out there wants to experience a true 5 star experience then the 4 Seasons on Landaa Giraavaru is the place to do it. Providing that you can afford it that is. And I don’t say that to big note myself in any way shape or form because I can tell you that if Julie’s parents weren’t good friends of the General Manager 4 Seasons Asia and the Operations Manager of 4 Seasons Maldives then there is no way in hell that we could afford it. We lucked in with 85% off accommodation and 50% off food and beverages. Those savings brought it down from “ludicrous” to “expensive”.
Food and wine were exceptional. The Wine cellar. Wines ranged from $60-7000 USD per bottle
Wine Cellar (1280x960).jpg

And the seafood was fresh as can be. It wasn’t until the 4th night that we didn’t have any lobster
Who wants fresh yellowfin (1280x960).jpg

They thought of everything from ladies picking up all the leaves every morning on the sand paths, the paths were then graded by makeshift spades (no power tools here) and then they were swept to make them look un-used. Beaches were raked, pools cleaned nightly when no one was around. Our room was cleaned 3 times a day including a turn down service at night. We even had the hair cleaned from our brushes and toiletries let out in a nice even spread on the marble bench. I also had this universal charger and a heap of connections that I left out one day in a pile. Came back after diving one day and every connection was laid out in a straight line. The first day I asked for 6 beers on ice in the room. Yep, every day without fail, 6 more would turn up :drinking5: I could go on and on.

The low level sea plane flight from Male to the resort was pretty good. Gee they go into a big nose dive when landing
Island photo to the Resort (1280x960).jpg

We scored an over the water villa that had an outdoor net over the water, 3 lounges and a queen bed up on a mezzanine level
View from outside deck (1280x960).jpg

The net was good for some advanced drinking manoeuvres
Advanced Drinking Manouvre (1280x960).jpg

You even had a poo with a view. One night I say a big white tip swim under the villa.
Poo with a View (1280x960).jpg

Actually speaking about toilets, Julie and I spent quite a bit of time in the pool bar (I bet your shocked) and the public toilet there was the best amenities I have ever seen. Never had I ever been wanting to take a photo in a public toilet before this day. Talk about luxury. You would use the linen towels to dry your hands, go back again later and someone had already removed the used one. It was crazy. And NO I didn’t take any photos of it.
We went on a jet ski (Julie’s parents also good friends with the owner of this so we got it free)
Jet Ski (1280x960).jpg

And snorkelling many times. Those big parrot fish were everywhere
Big Parrots (1280x960).jpg
Julie Snorkelling (1280x960).jpg

This little fella wouldn’t leave me alone. He followed me around for ages
Friendly Fish (1280x960).jpg

Wahoo lolly
Wahoo Lolly (1280x960).jpg

Now onto the fishing :catch: Julie’s Dad a few years back used to teach the local engineering staff how to fix and service outboards and one of his apprentices (Konna) took us on 2 fishing trips. I didn’t really know what to expect so before we left for the Maldives I bought some knife jigs and octo jigs from Kamikaze to give to Konna as a present. Anyway, when we took off on the first trip I realised that from the gear and them talking about Marlin, Dog Tooth Tuna, Wahoo, Yellowfin and a bus sized GT that Konna lost (they call them Jack Fish) we could be in for anything.
Serious Fishing Gear (1280x960).jpg

They even caught live bait in preparation
Live Bait (1280x960).jpg

Check out the teaser/out rigger they use. One is towed either side of the boat with 2 lines on each. I’m thinking about making myself some. They are pretty amazing. Because of the anchor point being on one side they shoot out easily 45 degrees from the stern and out of the way from the 2 lines being trolled directly behind the boat. I'm thinking about making a couple and adding a release clip
Teaser outrigger (1280x960).jpg

It caused this Mahi Mahi (they call them Dorado) to jump on. I tried to get Julie to jump on but she insisted that I land it. Not a monster but still my biggest
Mahi Mahi landed (1280x960).jpg

Julie even caught a jump shot
Mahi jump shot (1280x960).jpg

We then went to jigging with one of the 100g knife jigs. The locals hadn’t seen this before and didn’t think I would do any good. Not sure how deep it was as we didn’t have any sounder or GPS but from how long it took the jig to hit the bottom I estimate it somewhere between 60-100m. There was Konna and 3 boat crew all talking Maldivian but I did hear “f@#$ he’s on” as my rod bucked over. They call them Red Snapper but pretty sure it’s a Red Bass. My first ever Red Bass and first decent fish on a knife jig. No ciguatera in them over there. They were all smiles and amazed. I didn’t get the rod back for a while
Red Bass on speed jig (960x1280).jpg
Mahi Mahi and Red Bass (1280x960).jpg

We then went popping for GT’s. Konna lost a monster that launched itself at the popper. Not on camera but you could see this cavernous mouth launch and swallow the popper like it was jelly bean
Julie popping for GT's (1280x960).jpg

The second trip was dead set on a Type II FFV. It was an old donk donk diesel engine. The steering was a bit of 4x4 in between the drivers feet connected to a rudder and it had a big flat deck (no gunwales) with about 30cm of free board. It was a night fish in a big of a sea using handlines. I was happy to get back to dry land with falling in the p..s

We did ok. Not the biggest fish but I got myself my first Green Jobfish and other mixed reefies thrown in too.
1st Green Job Fish (1280x960).jpg

Definitely an experience but so much fun too. Hope you enjoy the post
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Maldives Honeymoon Adventure

Post by cuddlescooper »

Awsome mate. With that many discounts I think you are marrying the right woman!
stormboy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by stormboy »

Awesome!!
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Great spot. It was on my bucket list years ago when I was a diver but never got around to it.
So jealous :applause:
DOUG
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by DOUG »

Your mrs got a sister ??:) :)
Good read mate how a honey moon should be ;)
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

glad you had a good honeymoon :mrgreen:

great report - looks like the best place in the world to have a fish and a poo :-)
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Great report!
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Matt Flynn wrote:glad you had a good honeymoon :mrgreen:

great report - looks like the best place in the world to have a fish and a poo :-)
Darwin harbour is a close second according to the local authoritys that flush our cr.p into it! :banghead:

Sorry, shouldn't hijack your honey moon thread there Lats! :mrgreen:
olfart
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by olfart »

Looks like you had a ball Lats..congrats on the nuptials, thanks for sharing. :mrgreen:
" YOUTH is a GIFT "
"AGE is an ART "
"Doesn't mean you get any smarter..just wrinkled and cracked".

"No angler watches nature in a passive way...He enters into its very existence." (John Bailey...Reflections on a Waters Edge)

"Govern a Family as you would catch a small fish....Very Gently." (Chinese Proverb)

"Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish." (Rafael Sabatini...1857-1950)

I pray that one day God sends me a fish so big that, when talking of it...I have no reason to lie.
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

How cool is that honeymoon ,,,Lats doing a demo on how he rips off a fart and Julie showing lats how she throws a BIG stick around
(something to get used to mate) :bbad: ,,,

Great trip guys and some very cool pics,,,see you on water soon,

:applause: :mrgreen:
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

A great write up mate... Those photos look amazing.
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

DOUG wrote:Your mrs got a sister ??:) :)
Good read mate how a honey moon should be ;)
Sorry Doug, only a brother and he's married so you lucked out twice :lol:

Forgot to add a couple of photos. The top jig with the red flashes did the damage. I know the Reidy's knife jigs do the job over in the east on big goldies and other reefies. Something I am going to pursue in greater detail when I get back into it off Darwin
Knife Jigs.JPG
And me helping Julie clothes shop in KL on the way home :rofl:
Me Shopping in KL.JPG
The diving was pretty good although the visibility wasnt the best because of all the plankton. We say mantas from the boat but werent lucky enough to see them in the water

Jeff, wont be fishing for about 4 weeks :|
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ghound »

Sorry Doug, only a brother and he's married so you lucked out twice
Shame ken is a good sort :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
craig.g
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by craig.g »