weather condition

Going this weekend? Planning a tour? Need info? A fishing partner? Just ask ...
pelletouse
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:09 pm

weather condition

Post by pelletouse » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:32 pm

Hi guys
I'm after some weather condition as i'm looking to launch from buffalo on Saturday morning for a barra fishing trip within shoal bay.
Is the water calm enough for a 4.4m with a 30hp on the back to head to some of the closest creek to buffalo? what about storm forecast?
Any information would be helpful.
thanks in advance



User avatar
STANDY
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog
Posts: 1096
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:38 pm
Location: Darwin

Re: weather condition

Post by STANDY » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:53 pm

You do know the thread below is about the two boats swamped that had their owners bail out last week . At the exact spot you want to go.
( SUNK TINNY )

Not a trip if you have to ask.
A Fish in the Boat is Worth Five in the Shop.

pelletouse
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: weather condition

Post by pelletouse » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:10 pm

Yes i saw the post and red about it but i went to the exact same spot 2 weeks ago without any problem.
So i was wondering if anyone has done the same trip in last few days heading to shoal bay or anywhere close launching from buffalo.
thanks in advance

NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog
Posts: 575
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:50 am
Location: Darwin

Re: weather condition

Post by NinjaFish » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:13 pm

I sit and watch where I live....

Shoal Bay was a mess a few days ago and the wind forecast of late has been a deception.
Just for an example of deceptive forecasts, it normaly takes me me about 40 minutes max on good water to get deep into Shoal Bay from where I launch. Monday took me 1.45 hours to get back in a boat that's built for it. The weather changes obviously hour to hour and if your not equipped and can't read the water... just don't be a statistic.

The attached content will change.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pelletouse
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: weather condition

Post by pelletouse » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:37 pm

Thanks Ninja for the really good advice.
I don't want to take any risk that's why I'm here asking experienced fisherman and as you said i dont want to finish as a statistic if not what'sthe point to ask for any advice here.
So next question, where will you recommend to go for barra fishing over the weekend? Or i should think of not going fishing this weekend and wait for better weather?
Thanks in advance

pms
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 11:46 am
Contact:

Re: weather condition

Post by pms » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:29 am

Hi Pellethouse, if your not familiar with shoal bay then I recommend you don't go. The next creek to buffalo is Mecketts, it has big sandbars out front and a forecast 1m swell might easily become 2m on the sandbars there. I wish I could get barra for Christmas lunch too!

NT Wombat
Seadog
Seadog
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:01 pm
Location: Howard Springs

Re: weather condition

Post by NT Wombat » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:00 am

Pelletouse i'd give Middle arm a look, it's much more sheltered, still has good areas to fish and you will have a longer launch/retrieve window. Or you could try saltwater arm or leaders creek as well.

NT Wombat
Seadog
Seadog
Posts: 315
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:01 pm
Location: Howard Springs

Re: weather condition

Post by NT Wombat » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:00 am

Edited - I was a numpty and posted the same thing twice.

NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog
Posts: 575
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:50 am
Location: Darwin

Re: weather condition

Post by NinjaFish » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:53 am

I would just tuck in close Harbour side until we get some good rain to flatten everything out again. Like pms said, Shoal Bay can get ugly due to its shallowness and sand bars. Add to that the big tide movements this weekend and wind and there's the recipe for a bad day out and the Barra just disappear in those conditions. I'm not saying don't do it on Saturday but a drive down to Lee Point for a look before launch can be helpful.
With the current wind situation it will blow up in the afternoon and make for a wet trip back anyway regardless of where you go unless you stay in close.

pelletouse
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: weather condition

Post by pelletouse » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:24 pm

Thanks guys.
I dont want to risk anything and wait for better days.
I'm going to stick to Darwin Harbour maybe middle arm or maybe east arm but i dont where to go for barra fishing if any of you could point me in the right direction.
Thanks

User avatar
b-radical
Seadog
Seadog
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:38 am
Location: Wagaman

Re: weather condition

Post by b-radical » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:37 pm

Some good info here and all very true :eating:

I returned from meckitts once before (last year) and coming into the channel of buff creek it was like a washing machine with swell bouncing back off the mangroves and hitting the swell coming in bit scary in the Hornet and it was GLASS AND BLUE SKY when we launched that morning. I wont risk it once the storms start in my tinny unless its straight after a monsoon :cool:

Not to put you off either but there has been some bad luck recently remember tide against wind is nasty nasty especially for smaller tinnys

There is always somewhere to go 8) with big tides grab the bible and have pick somewhere that will be sheltered lock it in

Example: just upstream from crab claw boat ramp is a good lock in spot 4 close the ramp and close to the bar when you finish

Good luck
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Everydays a good day when your fishing

FOMOB

pelletouse
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: weather condition

Post by pelletouse » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:14 pm

Thanks b-radical for your option but tomorrow i'm going to stick to Darwin Harbour and try to go to one of the arm but I don't know which one yet.
Will let you know guys, i hope i'll catch few fish.
happy days.

NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog
Posts: 575
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:50 am
Location: Darwin

Re: weather condition

Post by NinjaFish » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:30 pm

Perfect conditions for a harbour Barra this morning. Hope you get one or two.

pelletouse
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: weather condition

Post by pelletouse » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:13 pm

Hi guys went to bleesers creek yesterday morning.
Really hard to catch barra on lures, no bite at all.
Lucky we managed to get some nice mullet, my deckie missed 2 nice bites and i reeled up a stingray.
The funniest moment of the day was after my 2 cast with the net for mullet, I captured in the net a nice 61cm barramundi. How funny i was.
How often do you guys catch barra with the castnet? Is it common?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog
Posts: 575
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:50 am
Location: Darwin

Re: weather condition

Post by NinjaFish » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:25 pm

:rofl: :clap: well done.

Only when I see them and most times they're too quick.

Post Reply

Return to “Going Fishing?”