Do I need to run a fuse with my new LED spotties?

Talk about the gear you can't afford and knots you can't tie.
STOKESY77
Seadog
Seadog

Do I need to run a fuse with my new LED spotties?

Post by STOKESY77 »

Hi everyone,
I just recently picked up some small led spotties to use on the rig to light the place up while I'm crabbing at night. They are "KORR" lighting 1800 lumens, 18w which draw 1.5amps @ 12v or 0.75amps @ 24v. Do I need to run an inline fuse :? Any tips or advise will be much appreciated :mrgreen:

Give a man a fish, You'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, You'll feed him for a lifetime!
Sweaty
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Do I need to run a fuse with my new LED spotties?

Post by Sweaty »

Assuming your just running a direct line from the battery via a switch to the lights... then hell yeah you need a fuse...

Best option would be to run a fuse bar under your console have some decent wiring to that something that can hold 50amp them off your fuse bar you can run your lights and any other accessories you think fit..
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Really?Why wouldn't you?

You must protect every item. wires on moving vehicles/vessels have a habit of wearing thru and causing fires etc
STOKESY77
Seadog
Seadog

Post by STOKESY77 »

Thanks Sweaty
Give a man a fish, You'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, You'll feed him for a lifetime!
Dex38
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Dex38 »

The fuse will protect you from turning your plastic coated electrical wire into a fume generator. If you shorted the positive and your hull was earthed then the wire will heat up due to the current flow which basically turns your spot lights into a welder. For a few bucks a fuse is a nice little safety item.

Dex
robertnewland90
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by robertnewland90 »

I would put the fuse as close to the battery as possible also.
When in doubt, Power out,
Or turn right...
Plate Size
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Plate Size »

robertnewland90 wrote:I would put the fuse as close to the battery as possible also.
that's the way.
and if possible label it,,, what that "extra" fuse is for in case it goes into garage , gives the service person an idea.
all additional electrical accessories should be fused. btw, in cars/vehicles..we fuse the power wires, meaning the positive wires that
got constant battery voltage on it.
There is a strange feeling about land-based fishing that lures me back time after time.....by Jarrod Day @ fishingmonthly.com.au