Digital TV Reception

slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Digital TV Reception

Post by slug »

OK - nothing to do with fishing, but it is electronic :roll:

Has anyone noticed a decline in the 'stability' of digital TV signal in Darwin over the past few weeks, or is it just my $hit antenna ready to blow off the roof?

I've got a digital TV, a digital PC tuner, and 2 set top boxes - all connected to the one antenna. For the past 6 months, other than the odd 'boxy flicker' (anyone who has watched digital will know what I mean) in general all have been pretty stable. Over the past few weeks it has gotten to the point of being almost unwatchable at times :evil:

Don't know if it is my end (antenna blowing in the wind??) or signal end (antenna blowing in the wind??).

Anyone else having reception 'issues' :-? :P

NathanL
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NathanL »

Yes we have been here - for about the past month.

We thought it was just our antenna?!
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

I have no problems with mine.
One of my daughters who lives in Smith St has the problem you talk about, her boyfriend reckons it's antenna troubles.
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by slug »

Does your antenna 'sway' in the wind at all Blinky??

I've noticed mine swaying 5to10mm maybe. I don't know if this is the problem - all was good during the dry season during 15/20knot SEasters :-?
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

slug wrote:Does your antenna 'sway' in the wind at all Blinky??
Dunno Slug, I'm usually inside watching the tele, not the antenna :lol: :lol:

I'll duck outside and have a gander......................................................................................................................................................................Nope, all good, steady as a rock.

While on the subject of TV.........doe anyone experience the volume fluctuating on 9 HD? No problem on any other HD channels except 9. It is especially frustrating when the cricket it is on.

Any noticed the same????
Blinky

Timbo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Timbo »

Mine had shifted in the wind, Got up on the roof and moved it around and improved the pic now worries. :mrgreen:
Failure is only an event, Not a lifestyle
SMITHY
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by SMITHY »

get the shakes out here a bit as well but antenna seems fine maybe all the storm activity at the mo :-?
They say time is money, I dont have much money cause my times spent fishing
louis

Post by louis »

yea cr.p reception out in leanyer, i used digital for 2 years and it was perfect but the last 2 months were terrible, 7,9,10 all broken signals
jasonmcc
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Water

Post by jasonmcc »

Mine is perfect at the moment in Palmo. You only need a UHF antenna to receive digital TV. The usual cause of reception problems this time of the year is water getting inside your coxial cable.

Jason
...............Wishin' I was fishin'...............
bandit

Post by bandit »

everytime time theres a storm we get sketchy free to air tv through set top box.

austar is EVEN worse. there phasing out the cable and giving everyone sat dishes. never had a problem before. but now every storm it drops out. shocking :bricks:
doors off
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by doors off »

CB,
you are on the money, it is the digital that is stuffed. It is due to the heavy rain, does not happen with 'old' TV. Austar forced us to change to digital, charges us all more and gives us less reliability. :banghead: It happens all around Australia during heavy rain. :bricks: Trouble is that it pisses down here for months at a time. :roll: You would think that they know that.
I have been seriously considering keeping a record of interuptions when i watch it, which is not a great deal, and it gets interupted and then going to consumer affairs - inferior product, false advertising etc!
I just know that the first six weeks of the Reds Super 14 games will be during Big Wet Rain (that we need for continued top fishing) and I will be staring at a pixelated screen cursing Austar - :hunting:

Doors Off
Save the Tuna - Eat a Dolphin!
Billster
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Billster »

I have had all the above problems, only for the last 3 weeks though. That was when like CB said we got the Austar changed over from cable to sat dish, they did fit a free to air antenna for nothing but I have done nothing but curse Austar ever since. The first night of having the dish we had a good rain and the Austar dropped out along with the digital free to air signal. This has happened every heavy rain since. Oh yeh and I now have a couple of leaks onto my balcony roof that weren't there before the change over.
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero" - Seize the day, trust as little as possible in tomorrow. (Horace)
or if all else fails
"C'est la vie"-Sh*t Happens
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

I've had Austar satellite for over 4 years now and I reckon I could count the number of times it's dropped out on two hands, I got no concern with it.
Blinky

slug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by slug »

Cheers for the responses troops :mrgreen: looks to be a bit of a trend.
Could easily of shelled out a few hundred clams for the antenna guy only find that it's an issue at the 'transmission end' :banghead:

Interesting to note that some do & some some don't experience the dreaded 'no signal' - I wonder if it's a location thing dependent on what 'relay' your picking up??

Interesting also to hear those sighting heavy rain as a culprit. I'm get 'pixelation' (or whatever it's called :P ) even when it's not raining - that's not to say that it's not pi$$ing down somewhere between my antenna & the transmitting beacon :-?

The WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor :naughty: ) is VERY low at the minute - she'd sooner watch a 'snowy' , cr.p, 'stable' OLD reception, than a sometimes crystal clear, then NADA digital reception program.

To put things in perspective however, I'm currently on a gig in Brunei, and it's taken me an hour just to get to this point of posting this :evil: I'll never bag Telstra again (until I get back to paradise :roll: )
Blinky wrote: While on the subject of TV.........doe anyone experience the volume fluctuating on 9 HD? No problem on any other HD channels except 9. It is especially frustrating when the cricket it is on.

Any noticed the same????

Yep - I'm hearing ya Blinky. Sound effects from ground microphones overpower the audio from the commentator's - not that that's a bad thing - don't get me started.

I've got a Home Theatre PC setup with big screen, HTPC, surround sound, etc,etc - ya reckon my neighbors don't know about it when my boys switch channels from ABC1 to HD70 :shock: 8-)
Myst
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Myst »

was having major issues with digital tv reception in Bakewell, was fine during the day, but after dark the signal would drop out, flicker, and carry on... found out the little pigeon things were roosting on it and fuzzing things up... well placed shot in the centre of seen mass with a tennis ball saw the problem sorted... took ages for the could of feathers lingering near the antenna to dissipate too...
I'm having Deja Moo... the feeling that I've been through this bullsh*t before....