Mud crab help

Catch and cook a seafood buffet, with or without barramundi.
Dirk
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Mud crab help

Post by Dirk »

Gday All.

Can anyone please advise whether this weekends neaps would be worth chasing some muddies in Shoal Bay ? or are the bigger tides generally better???

BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraBeast »

Yes it's worth it , especially with the strong wind warning for coastal waters. heaps of shelter up the arms/creeks. find places where the current/tide is going to push the bait aroma into the trees, especially scattered isolated trees. back eddies at creek junctions and corners can be good too.

get out there man, you could find the biggest crab ever! :drinking4:
"in chemistry, Alcohol is a solution! "
Dirk
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Dirk »

Cheers I'll give it a go!! and report back..with photo's...if I can get this darn Apple i-photo programme to condense the B###dy photos !!
meter_seeker
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by meter_seeker »

shoal bay should be fishing well ya'd think with reliefed pressure from fishos now that the've shut the howard ramp down you might bag out buddy, but with the wind im feeling here in the springs it will be a dreadful trip over there some of the biggest chop within our inshore waters was from there, prepare for that, hope u get a heap mate.
Image Image
Dirk
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Dirk »

Gents

Turned out to be disappointing.

In truthfulness I am a little 'green' when it comes to crabbing. Only got the one keeper..with lots & lots of undersized units (which I guess is a healthy sign). I crabbed at Meckitts upstream , inside the little creek on the RHS (part of the junction).
Upon exiting on my way home I found lots of boats with pots near the mouth (...must put that in the memory bank for next time)!!

I did the good Samaratin thing however ..by towing some blokes back to Buffalo creek from Meckitts in my 4.0m tinny! They were fishing near me and spent a couple of hours trying to start their motor.....at one stage their motor caught fire!!!...not a good situation ..but luckily they had a fire extinguisher on board before the whole boat went up.

Anyway I'll give Meckitts another bash maybe next week if I can score enough brownie points with the missus!

Cheers blokes for the tips !!!!