A Novice planning a Crabbing Trip Off Darwin - Any Help?

Catch and cook a seafood buffet, with or without barramundi.
jpb15
Seadog
Seadog

A Novice planning a Crabbing Trip Off Darwin - Any Help?

Post by jpb15 »

Hi all,
Planning a Crabing Trip in next coup[le of days.

Don't know if this is the right time of moon cycle.

Not sure of best, easiest place to get boat in and out of the water, close to likly spot for crabs.

I will be working with a useless deckie.

Any help apreciated.

Thank's

Jeff

Sick of coming home Fishless
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

Can't go wrong at the moment heaps of crab about. We bagged out in the last 2 trips.

Chicken frames or fish frames all work but my favorite is tuna. Just drop your pots in on the incoming tide in any drains and get them as close to the mangroves as possible. check them every 40mins and if there nothing there move them around.

You either crab or you fish. There not many places in which you can do both without idiot checking your pots.

Any of the harbour arms will crab well at the moment but shoal bay the stand out spot.
XXtreme
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by XXtreme »

Middle Arm is always a safe bet. Drop your pots into small drains before the start of the incominmg tide and check them every 30-40minutes. Just make sure you have enough rope on your pots to allow for the rise of the tide.

For Bait I use Gutter Guard formed up into a pocket and I put a couple of chicken necks, part of an old fish carcase and a couple of pilchards then cable tie them to the base of the pot. If you're not around your pots cable tie the pot shut, it won't stop the sharefarmers but at least you can see if someone has helped themselves to your pots. :hunting: This mixture of baits seems to attrack the crabs like crazy, last trip I got 7 crabs from 5 pots on the way back from a fishing trip. A mate of mine dropped 10 pots in the same stretch of creek with only fish frames and got 5 crabs - go figure.

All the best. :mrgreen:
Ernie
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ernie »

Shoal Bay would be the go at moment plenty about, have found the back of the harbour still fairly slow so far. As the guys have already said, just work your pots thru the run in. If you need some bait the seafood joint (used to be Wharning) has frames 10kg for $10 :drinking1: :drinking1:
Live it and ENJOY
Cant save the world from idiots as they'll just build a better one!
Wouldn't need rules if people did the right thing!
PSST There maybe crocodiles in the water
jpb15
Seadog
Seadog

Post by jpb15 »

Thank's Guys
Sick of coming home Fishless
timwicks
Seadog
Seadog

Post by timwicks »

You can get chicken carcasses at Leonards in Casuarina for 2 bucks each
Wicksy

“I think I got off on the wrong planet. Beam me up Scotty, there's no rational life here."
--- Robert Anton Wilson
Dyslexics Of The World Untie.