To chip or not to chip? That is the question.

Tell us a camping story. Let us guess? You left the cooking oil and bog roll at home ...
volkoff
Seadog
Seadog

To chip or not to chip? That is the question.

Post by volkoff »

Ok want some more grunt from the triton. Have been looking at DP chips and chip it chips and ecu tek software. Has anyone done anything like this to there diesel and have been happy with the results?

fish4me123
Seadog
Seadog

Re: To chip or not to chip? That is the question.

Post by fish4me123 »

2.5l 3.2l ??
tight lines
volkoff
Seadog
Seadog

Post by volkoff »

fish4me123 wrote:2.5l 3.2l ??
2.5l
Hally10
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Hally10 »

Hey volkoff. I've got a steinbauer in my 06 hilux. bl..dy brilliant. Removes nearly all the lag especially in 3 rd which sis where the lux bogs down a bit. Looked at all the chips before I decided on mine. Speaking to a lot of different people and forums etc before purchase the general consensus was to steer clear of any chip that increases the fuel rail pressure. They are already about 19000 psi and any increase over the life of the vehicle could have ill effects on the injectors ( at 5 grand a pop to replace). The steinbauer is the upper end of the price range but I think that it's worth it. The steinbauer plays with the valve timing. Super easy to install by yourself as we'll. literally plug and play. Do the exhaust while your at it and she'll be a whole new ute.
volkoff
Seadog
Seadog

Post by volkoff »

Hally10 wrote:Hey volkoff. I've got a steinbauer in my 06 hilux. bl..dy brilliant. Removes nearly all the lag especially in 3 rd which sis where the lux bogs down a bit. Looked at all the chips before I decided on mine. Speaking to a lot of different people and forums etc before purchase the general consensus was to steer clear of any chip that increases the fuel rail pressure. They are already about 19000 psi and any increase over the life of the vehicle could have ill effects on the injectors ( at 5 grand a pop to replace). The steinbauer is the upper end of the price range but I think that it's worth it. The steinbauer plays with the valve timing. Super easy to install by yourself as we'll. literally plug and play. Do the exhaust while your at it and she'll be a whole new ute.

Do these chips effect your factory warranty?
Hally10
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Hally10 »

Not sure mine was out of warranty when I did it. I wouldn't think so but it pays to ask the manufacturer.
Hally10
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Hally10 »

Depends on how long is left on the warranty as we'll. but you know what there like. You'd have an oil problem or some unrelated and they wouldn't pay blaming the chip. But mine only improved the engine. Better fuel economy too.
volkoff
Seadog
Seadog

Post by volkoff »

Will have to check it out. As my ute is only a year old.
Thanks mate
Scarey
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Scarey »

Have a Steinbaur on the Ranger. Gained 29KW and 89NM from stock 149KW and 482NM and widened the torque curve a lot too, really happy with it.
As for Warranty, it does void it, but you can pull it off in 10 mins and there's no evidence it was ever there.

Another thing you could look at is an ECU tune, but it's permanent so will void warranty.
Hally10
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Hally10 »

Also a sprint booster. Not sure bout a triton but if it is an elec accelerator, sprint booster gets rid of the lag on that too. Steinbauer has been doing this stuff for trucks and machinery for years compared to some of the new comers. Tried and tested. But the are the most exxy.
I Wish
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by I Wish »

Where are the modules located on the Stenbaurs? Under the bonnet or in the cabin next to the ecu?
volkoff
Seadog
Seadog

Post by volkoff »

I dont know i think i may have to keep stock, i just dont want any dramas with the factory warranty!
volkoff
Seadog
Seadog

Post by volkoff »

I dont know i think i may have to keep stock, i just dont want any dramas with the factory warranty!
Hally10
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Hally10 »

steinbauer is under the bonnet. has a replacement set of electric cables to run to the engine manifold. they plug into the engine then the old ones go on top of the steinbauer plugs sort of piggy back. so the steinbauer intercepts the signal from the ecu and modulates it to it own program. check with the manufacturer volkoff steinbauer is a pretty reputable company with a lot of r and d so they might permit it.
Hally10
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Hally10 »

youll notice a massive difference towing because of the more linear torque curve