4x4 tyres

Tell us a camping story. Let us guess? You left the cooking oil and bog roll at home ...
swamp_donkey89
Seadog
Seadog

4x4 tyres

Post by swamp_donkey89 »

What size/type and brand of tyres are people using? Im needing new rubber im after some reviews on the different brands and models

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: 4x4 tyres

Post by Matt Flynn »

Which wheel? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Marro
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Marro »

Holden vs Ford, Toyota vs Nissan, Coopers vs BFGs. Its going to be hard to get a balanced view, particularly when it comes to tyres. In my view you can't go wrong with either. However I know plenty of people who have been happy with lesser priced quality tyres. I'm on Coopers at the moment cause I got a good deal and they have been great. But I have also had BFGs and was happy with them. My advice is don't get caught up in all the spin. If you can afford the better branded tyres buy them. In my experience if you're not competing in the Dakar or Finke there isn't much difference between them. If you can't afford them, for me it comes down to tread depth and side wall thickness.
fishfanatic
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fishfanatic »

I think rubber one's :mrgreen:
'Take me drunk, I'm home"
Unknown

"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth".
John F. Kennedy

"The first principle of a free society is an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum"
Adlai E. Stevenson

"We are willing enough to praise freedom when she is safely tucked away in the past and cannot be a nuisance. In the present, amidst dangers whose outcome we cannot foresee, we get nervous about her, and admit censorship".
Forster, Edward

"Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear"
George Orwell

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
by Anonymous
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Sorry, I've got three different brands on my GQ, as I have been using up some old spares.

The two Yokohomas on the front have been standout performers, and very slow to wear :mrgreen:

Had a set of Coopers, they were great down to 25% tread left and then two failed in quick succession, but they had a hard life. Same happened to my Wranglers years ago. I bought a set of cheapies in Alice Springs years ago that gave me no trouble, but I never took them up the Cape or Kimberley like the others. Marro is probably on the right track.
swamp_donkey89
Seadog
Seadog

Post by swamp_donkey89 »

Yeah im eyeing off the wrangler duratrack tyres, they seem to have rave reviews, but as pointed out they are all very similar and there is a good gap between prices!
rumluck
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by rumluck »

Marrow is spot on. I've ran alot of different tyres. It comes down to construction ie. Load ratings, speed ratings and ply ratings. I bought the cheapest set of 10ply rated tyres i could find (pinnicle grizzly grips from etyres townsville) they have been awesome. Ive had the same experiences with wranglers and coopers as matt too. You cant go past a set of bridgestone dueler a.t for the money either.

Not all of the one brands sizes are built the same either hence varying reports, eg. A bfg all terrain in 31/12.5/r15 has a lower speed/load/ply tating than the equivalent 16inch tyre.

IMO, a few good brands to start your search.

Kumho
Maxxis
Toyo
Fogazi
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Fogazi »

Do rims have specific tyre sizes that can be fit to them? And no, I'm not talking about rim diameter...
I have 255/55/17's fitted from stock and they appear to be a rare size and expensive (navara d40). Can I fit any size 17's to that rim? Maybe a more common 265?

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
cjgp
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cjgp »

Fogazi, I have asked myself the same question a few times... I hope we get an answer
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Scottie5.3 »

You can fit whatever size you like as long as it doesn't protrude out of the car and doesn't touch on any of the body. Im running 265/70/17s on the Prado and you can't go wrong with bfg ko2s. I rate them anyways, but same as the wranglers I rate them too. Legally your allowed 2" in tyres and 2" in suspension, for a total of 4" without TAC approval. Jump up to a cheaper tyre size and you get a bigger tyre too, its a win win. Just have to make sure it clears the body.
Scott's mobile mechanics- 0421 965 093

Life is hard, but it's harder if your stupid - John Wayne
Scottie5.3
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Scottie5.3 »

Obviously double check speed and load rating but any decent tyre shop will advise you in what's available
Scott's mobile mechanics- 0421 965 093

Life is hard, but it's harder if your stupid - John Wayne
Blinky
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Blinky »

Toyo Open Country/AT 285/70R17
Blinky

Find us on Facebook: Blinky's Lures
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

You can change tyre size slightly. But there are some restrictions, depending on your rim size (width) you will need an 8" wide rim to fit 285's.
You should be able to fit 265's no problems if you have 255 on. To fit 265 70 17, you may need a lift kit, depending on what model navara you have.
The new way they measure tyres is confusing as.
Take 285 75 r 16's. Back in the day they would have been 33" X 12"X 16"
285 is the width of the tyre in millimetres (metric measurement). 75 is the height of the sidewall as a percentage of the width of the tyre (%). Otherwise known as the Aspect Ratio. R16 is the size of the rim it'll fit in in inches (imperial measurement).

Best bet is to work out what sort of driving you want to do, for 90% of people an all terrain would do. If doing a lot of off-road work then you could look at a muddy. Then work out if you want a budget or top of the line tyre. Pick a brand you want, the dealer will be able to assist you with tyre size.
Could recommend stopping in and seeing grant at tyre power, he will give you some honest advice. You won't get any bullshit with him. They also sell top of the line, and budget end tyres too.
jabsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jabsy »

I put on 4 Toyos, did the savannah way to the east, bloomfield track no problems, I flew home and the wife and kids did the bitument to adelaide and back home, drove them around the bitumen for another year or so. They were about 50% down, we did the Gib River road, smashed all four of them on maybe the first 50km of dirt. I guess its because they were old.... The road had just been graded, and I lost three of them during river crossings.

Fitted two duellers to the front, and two T/A's at the back plus a spare, not a problem for the rest of the way as they were new. They have been on the car for almost two years I guess, 90% bitumen driving, and the T/A's on the back are wearing more than the Bridgies on the front. My wife drives this car most of the time, both her and I drive like Nannas these days.

I'd go for either of these tyres again. My co-worker just ponied up 500 a tyre for some "Pro Comp" mud terrain thingies for his jeep, it only worked out slightly more expensive than what I paid buying tyres in WA on the road...
Finatic2
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Finatic2 »

Just make sure that they are not from Indo as the rubber compound is slightly different and they wear quicker, had BF's for years on 2 separate cars and last set only lasted 40k went to Duellers this time and similar wear, thinking of going to yokies for the next experiment
Fish stories told here....some true !!!

When in doubt...exaggerate !!