RE: Guru's opinion

Gold Can
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

RE: Guru's opinion

Post by Gold Can »

I am still debating on what motor to bolt to the back of the new boat ( 5.5m Plate center cab).
Just looking for opinions. I am look at either 115 Yamaha or do I go the 115 Honda, Then I have been concidering the 130 Honda.

The way to a fishermans heart is through his fly!!
shauno
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by shauno »

Go a Suzuki. Thats a bias opinion though mate cause thats what I own, but i can tell how happy I'am with it. 130 thats plenty of gee gees for ya to play with. Happy hunting.
dodgyone
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

motor

Post by dodgyone »

I would second the Suzuki. Dont own one myself but have a couple of friends that do and are very happy. Only bad thing I have ever heard was that it took GS Marine 12 months to get a cowling replaced under warrenty. Whether that was GS Marine or Suzuki/Haines Australia I'm not sure. Great motors though.
Don't wanna be a flat water hero.

Real men go fast when it's rough.
max
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by max »

I reckon they are all much of a muchness mate I would compare the weights can make a big difference
PeterT
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by PeterT »

Much of a muchness. But the difference is in cost of service and parts and the service intervals. I was a Yami man and had a succession of small 2 stroke yammies over many years. Had a 60 yamm on a quin hornet and it was great, though exe on service.

Spoke to several blokes about yammie versus suzi and the one that sold me on suzi was a charter operator who runs 2 almost same boats, one with a yammie 4 and other with suzi. His opinion was that suzi won hands down.

I'm in love with my suzi 115, starts first turn of the key every time, economical as my old 15 yammie 2 stroke, and so quiet I forget its running. Ive had both and suzi is the go for me.

pete
Fishhead
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Fishhead »

I've had a Yam 115 on my Trailcraft for nearly 2 years, got 300hrs on it, never a glitch. cant vouch for the suzi's as never had one. dunno what the suzi's service costs are, but the yam 100hr is around $500. As an indication i allow 1L/Nm which gives about a 15% safety margin. (5.7 Profish). this is a generalisation and includes everything from 30knots to trolling/crabbing speeds... lots of this is with a fairly heavily loaded boat.
cheers...