Improving Diesel Performance

Ray Broughton
Seadog
Seadog

Improving Diesel Performance

Post by Ray Broughton »

All this 4x4 talk has got me thinking about tricking my hilux up a bit... As It's definitely lost a bit of zip over the years and on long hot runs around the top end she won't get over 130 km/h these days...and chews juice... In cooler conditons it definitely goes better but we don't seem to get many of them up here!

Anyone got experience with the Safari Dtronic in relation to an 02 Turbo 1KZ engine... Are they worthwhile? easy to fit? Exxxy? I think they're around $1500?

Or an intercooler? Read mixed things on adding these to a 1KZ and probably prefer not to muck around putting one in but the benefit may warrant....

Also need to fit a snorkel whic Ive been putting off for three years, anyone recommend a brand/fitter, not too keen on cutting holes in my car without the proper tools and experience with em.. (which I have none of!)

Or has anyone got any other solutions to restore her to her former glory (without rebuilding the engine!)

Any comments appreciated
:mrgreen:

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking beer.........
Chronic
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Chronic »

Give SMITHY a call at ARB mate he'll tell you anything you need to know :mrgreen:

And they do a great job on snorkels :grin:

:cheers:
Go the live-baiters!

Beer will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no beer...
Ernie
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Ernie »

Howdy Ray one of my mates has a Fitch Fuel Catalist on his work low lux
and he reccons he gets about 80 kl's extra from a tank and it runs smoother and has more power 8-) 8-) .He's also just put one on his Prado as has my brother in law with his 100 Series.
www.fitchcatalyst.com.au
Might be an option :drinking8:
Live it and ENJOY
Cant save the world from idiots as they'll just build a better one!
Wouldn't need rules if people did the right thing!
PSST There maybe crocodiles in the water
noundz

Post by noundz »

Not meaning to patronise :mrgreen: but have you tried the simple things first :mrgreen: like new fuel and air filters :grin:

After that try the more technical stuff like compression, boost pressure, fuel pressure/injectors, fuel timing, timing belt tension and valve clearance :mrgreen:

This is stuff I can preform myself with the correct tools but that doesn't help you :banghead: My suggestion would be to get a quote on the above or find a mate that can do it for you :wink:

It's a shame nothing lasts forever :mrgreen:
jasonmcc
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Cost Effective Maintenance

Post by jasonmcc »

Check out "Cost Effective Maintenance" they sell a good kit that cleans all the sludge out of your engine and also your fuel system. Well worth the money and has good reviews.

http://www.costeffective.com.au

As long as everything is in reasonable condition a free flowing exhaust makes a good difference especially on a turbo. I got a 2 1/2" system put on by TPL Exhausts in Coconut Grove.

Check out http://www.outerlimits4x4.com Its the best 4x4 forum on the net.

Cheers

Jason
...............Wishin' I was fishin'...............
grumpy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by grumpy »

Hey Jason got the test results back from Rob's Hilux using acetone he claims 20% better fuel economy. He said it took a couple of tanks but now he can feel the difference. Even if you take into account his imagination and say he got 10% still not bad that at least 50 to 100 k's a tank. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: He used 100ml per 60 ltr tank. :grin:

Ray we found something on the net about acetone improving power and fuel economy try looking it up. :clap: :clap:
A mans boat is a sign of his strengths and weaknesses???? (and wealth)
Ray Broughton
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Ray Broughton »

noundz wrote:Not meaning to patronise :mrgreen: but have you tried the simple things first :mrgreen: like new fuel and air filters :grin:
Not patronising at all mate, appreciate the input. Filters are all good. Do all easy maintenance such as servicing and filter replacement myself... :mrgreen:
noundz wrote:After that try the more technical stuff like compression, boost pressure, fuel pressure/injectors, fuel timing, timing belt tension and valve clearance :mrgreen:
Yeh wouldnt know three parts of FA on how to do these and wouldnt attempt it... But was completely gone over a while back and nothing reported as out of order.. Timing belt recentlt changed and boost was at 10 psi I think. I don't think its anything big.. just lost a bit of go at the top end...

Ernie.. thanks mate, will investigate those Fitch catalysts.. could pay for it self quickly with the price of fuel... :mrgreen:

Thanks Jase and Grumpy.. will get onto it.. It probably is something like that.... No symptoms of anything big....
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking beer.........
John Whitegoods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by John Whitegoods »

snorkels make a difference as do kn filters.

Snorks not hard to put on either, just make sure your drill is not set on 'hammer' when you go to use it as a hole saw.

have an after market turbo bolted onto mine too ... ok at 8psi ... thinking about cranking it out to 12psi but you would def need an intercooler then to deal with the excess heat
Cheers,

JohnWhitegoods AKA Dave

Drugs are not the answer, unless the question is what is not the answer
jasonmcc
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

EGT

Post by jasonmcc »

The big thing with performance and diesels is Exhaust Gas Temperature. With a diesel you can keep putting in more fuel and they well keep making more power until they have a meltdown. Also with a diesel you will get bugger all increase in performance buy just winding up the boost, you have to increase the fuel delivery at the same time, this is where you can get into trouble. So if you are going to wind up the boost and put in some more fuel its a good idea to get the intake air cooler (Intercooler) and hot gasses out quicker (exhaust).

Check out outerlimits4x4, so much good info on there. Will be trying the acetone in my Patrol soon.

Jason
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

Best bet is to leave the turbo and fuel settings to someone who KNOWS what they are doing..... Take it into Premier Fuel Injection and spend $120 and put it on there dyno...then you will know if it needs anything or if its all in ya head :bonk: :jester:

A snorkel and extractors make a huge difference to power... and will not hurt anything unlike excess turbo boost. It's all fine to get extra fuel and air into the motor but you have to get it out with minimal restrictions.

Go into toms mufflers and ask them about mandrel bent 3" full flow exhausts and extractors... then drop into smithy and get him to pop a snorkel on it... I think you will be surprised at the results. I did this to my GQ 4.2ltr ute and it was 10-15% up on power after I did it :shock:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
jasonmcc
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Mandrel

Post by jasonmcc »

I could be wrong but I think a Mandrel bent exhaust on a diesel 4x4 would be an overkill. Press bent is heaps cheaper.

JAson
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Mandrel

Post by 2rods »

jasonmcc wrote:I could be wrong but I think a Mandrel bent exhaust on a diesel 4x4 would be an overkill. Press bent is heaps cheaper.

JAson

If your going to do it then do it properly is my motto :mrgreen: It's only money :roll: plus it would be heaps cheaper than an inter cooler or power chip. Like I say just go and ask the blokes who do it for a living...they will know 100%

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
justin
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by justin »

I would have to agree there 2 rods. I have a toyota 2h with a whopping 79kw. It is a slug even with only the 12 footer in tow however the extractors and snorkel made a bid difference going up hills. Then with the injector service gained an extra 50km to a tank.

the good thing with a gutless diesel is you never do diffs and gearboxes there is just not enough power to damage anything :grin: . But very embarressing with a road train overtaking you up a hill.
Fishhard reel service a cast past the rest
SMITHY
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by SMITHY »

Ray , we sell the dtronic at work and for that model hilux they make a big difference but as all are saying if you put on a snorkel and do the exhaust and filter that will also help. as 2rods said maybe get the injectors and pump timing serviced but i am not a fan of dyno,s. wehen we fit turbos etc we road test and adjust the settings as needed and by doing this you get a correct ambient temp and not a fanforced rolling reading. its one thing to remember that our road temp is extreme and by road tuning we cannot over fuel or boost the car as our gauges allow us a certain window to safely work in. we have had no comebacks on overheating except where the person wants to do 140kmh all day with 4 tonne on board and this is asking for trouble. id recommend cattle dog injectors for your pump and injector service and if you want drop in an see me and ill quote up the rest of the gear and dont forget to say your a forum member to recieve your discount as we offer all forum users special pricing
regards darren smith :mrgreen: l
They say time is money, I dont have much money cause my times spent fishing
Ray Broughton
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Ray Broughton »

Cheers Men.....

Thanks heaps for your input, I'll let you know how we go....

Yeh never intended on friggin with you turbo or fuel pump... wouldnt know where to start anyway! All factory gear so I'm thinking its all set that way for a reason...! still got plenty of grunt and you'd never tell except at the top end tapering off from what it used to be, prob normal wear and tear but it's s..tting me.

Smithy, will call or drop in and we'll talk turkey....and you're right about that extreme road heat.. certainly makes a big difference to the performance of the truck.

Snorkel, extractors, chip, cem additives and an in line catalyst.. beauty.. Daly River in 1.5hrs and 15km/l! :jester: