Fibreglass Vs Plate Aluminium

Fish Tank
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Fibreglass Vs Plate Aluminium

Post by Fish Tank »

I need to get a new hull and I've been doing my research. The old Plate vs Fibreglass augment has arisen. I’m tossing up between a custom build 5m Heavy Duty Plate Boat or a Haines Signature 485SF both are around the same money when everything is added up.
The hull will be powered by a 90hp Suzie. I mostly fish the large rivers, harbour and some blue water and costal crossings to get remote.
I know glass needs more carful treatment when trailering on dirt roads etc. but a good boat cover will cure this and the ride is way better. I see that more and more serious fishermen up here are turning to Fiberglass. Anyone have any insight into this augment? For or against?

shaggs
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Fibreglass Vs Plate Aluminium

Post by shaggs »

I would not mind Tupperware if I was just fishing off shore
In the creeks ally is way lighter and easier to manouver and get it out of spots when you hit that too shallow a water and if you hit a reef or submerged object with the Tupperware make sure you have your life jacket on
At least you can chuck a rag in an ally hole and hammer it closed LOL
The past is history,the future is mystery,the moment is a gift and that's why it's called the present
BarraMick
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraMick »

mate just do what most of us do and run a couple of rigs.
i have 3 boats in the driveway ATM
they all have advantages and disadvantages over each other.

- the small 3.7m is great for small creeks / billabongs / remote rough ass roads.
- the 4.2 is a good all round day boat for the creeks (has more comfort and bit more speed then the 3.7)
- then i also have a half cabin fiberglass rig as well (carribean crestcutter) with a 115 suzi.

all i can say is the fiberglass rig is the best in rough water but i wouldnt want to take it half the places i take my small tinnys.
i would look at what you do more of and lean towards a boat that is suited for that as oppsed to trying to cover everything with one rig.

you sound as tho you have a decent budget to work off.
for the price of one of the above boats new i bet you could get 2 excellent quality secondhand boats.

for example - Agent 86 just sold his nice offshore rig (Rascall II) for $25,000.00 odd grand. could pick up a good tinny all set up for $10,000
so for $35,000 you could have the best of both worlds.
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

If your doing lots of river and creek work I would go plate alum
tugger1
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tugger1 »

yep one of each if you can
if not then go alloy as it can do both inshore & offshore, but make it a decent one
glass half cabs not the best creek boats but good outside
STANDY
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by STANDY »

I mostly fish the large rivers

no need to think anymore you need a plate boat
A Fish in the Boat is Worth Five in the Shop.
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

At least if you damage or want to modify an ally boat you can weld them.....
Fibreglass is a hassle...

I had the worse day fishing with a mate years ago... We went offshore in his huge big flash fibreglass taj mahal... The whole day he was whinging about sinkers hitting the gunwhales, bloodstains, scratches etc etc... I couldnt wait to get off the bl..dy boat and back in my tin can.!
"Bite off more than you can chew - Then chew like hell.." - PETER BROCK.
STANDY
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by STANDY »

What you doing with the old hull Fishtank that is built like a Tank that ex Ranger boat
A Fish in the Boat is Worth Five in the Shop.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

Heavy 6m plate boat would be ideal. Can still put it in tight creeks and it will take a beating all day long. the ride on them isn't too bad any way.
olfart
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by olfart »

[quote="Hemi"]At least if you damage or want to modify an ally boat you can weld them.....

Great if you've got a tig welder on board, :roll: or want to pay a monty for someone to do the job. :P
Using 'glass is a breeze, keep a bit of mat/resin on board and too easy to 'patch n go'.
Design and make mods without the boat leaving the driveway.
Each to their own I suppose. :wink:
" YOUTH is a GIFT "
"AGE is an ART "
"Doesn't mean you get any smarter..just wrinkled and cracked".

"No angler watches nature in a passive way...He enters into its very existence." (John Bailey...Reflections on a Waters Edge)

"Govern a Family as you would catch a small fish....Very Gently." (Chinese Proverb)

"Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish." (Rafael Sabatini...1857-1950)

I pray that one day God sends me a fish so big that, when talking of it...I have no reason to lie.
Jeno
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Jeno »

That is it, everything with boats and or vehicles is a compromise and you have to be honest with yourself as to what is an acceptable compromise for YOU. The older I get the more I have been looking at glass boats...primarily the second hand market because heavy well built plate boats with hull designs that can handle steep sharp chop (ala Northern dry season sea conditions) are expensive.
No matter where you go, there you are!
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Hemi wrote:At least if you damage or want to modify an ally boat you can weld them.....

I had the worse day fishing with a mate years ago... We went offshore in his huge big flash fibreglass taj mahal... The whole day he was whinging about sinkers hitting the gunwhales, bloodstains, scratches etc etc... I couldnt wait to get off the bl..dy boat and back in my tin can.!
Doesn't matter if it is glass or ally, you shouldn't be banging sinkers into it. Just good manners
Jeno
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Jeno »

nomad wrote:
Hemi wrote:At least if you damage or want to modify an ally boat you can weld them.....

Doesn't matter if it is glass or ally, you shouldn't be banging sinkers into it. Just good manners
Correct!!!! :lolpoint:
No matter where you go, there you are!
Fish Tank
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Fish Tank »

STANDY wrote:What you doing with the old hull Fishtank that is built like a Tank that ex Ranger boat
She's starting to show her age. :cry:
Hemi
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Hemi »

Jeno wrote:
nomad wrote:

Correct!!!! :lolpoint:

I'll keep that in mind... When 3 blokes are fishing out of a plastic tub, each with a 20 kg Jewie on, poop flying everywhere and a sinker hits the side of the boat... Accidents happen when fishing/boating..
But hey, let's blame manners!!!
Stick ya stupid weak fiberglass boats up ya arse..!!!
"Bite off more than you can chew - Then chew like hell.." - PETER BROCK.