trailer bearings

max
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

trailer bearings

Post by max »

Just done both trailer wheel bearings today what a mongrel of a job every time I do it I swear I will pay to get it done next time,nothing ever goes to plan had to go chase up a bearing puller to get one off today,if anyone is ever after parts or info old Neale at BTC at 11 mile is a knowledgeable bloke and very helpfull also discovered I need new disk brake pads soon so may as well do them while its pulled down as theres an inspection due in a couple of months its ok for you cheeky buggers that transfer plates and stamp a few numbers on the chassis

Buckaneer2
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Buckaneer2 »

Did mine on the weekend also, only 8 months old & both where stuffed.
I didnt have bearing buddies on & the shop didnt grease them properly from new,
I bought the new "Dura hub" oil filled units, you can see how much oil is left through a clear front screen.
Has anyone tried these & are they any good? :-? :-?
Smile, be happy & go fishing.

Work is getting in the way of my fishing.
My boss says fishing is getting in the way of my work.
I will soon fix both of our problems by quitting.
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

Max...why did you need a bearing puller??? if the bearing was sticking to the shaft it must have been spinning on there...that would mean that you axle might be stuffed???

Bearings are easy as ...1 hour and your done...If you want them done next time drop it off at my place when I am on days off and I'll do it for you.....cheap too :naughty: :naughty:

Buckaneer2... the oilers look good and they have been around for a fair while......trucks have used them for years only issue is if the cap falls out of the hub...like bearing buddies do on rough roads.... at least with BB's the bearings are still full of grease....if the oiler falls off your stuffed.

Having said that I am putting them on mine next time around as I don't go down dirt roads :grin:
:cheers:

2RODS

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

"Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."
Buckaneer2
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Buckaneer2 »

2Rods, They shouldn't fall out as they where a lot harder to knock in, also used locktight supplied with the kit.

Mine cost about 120 bucks from BTC.

Ive done one trip to the Daly since & they leaked a bit. Hoping it was just excess from fitting.
Smile, be happy & go fishing.

Work is getting in the way of my fishing.
My boss says fishing is getting in the way of my work.
I will soon fix both of our problems by quitting.
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

Buckaneer2 wrote:2Rods, They shouldn't fall out as they where a lot harder to knock in, also used locktight supplied with the kit.

Mine cost about 120 bucks from BTC.

Ive done one trip to the Daly since & they leaked a bit. Hoping it was just excess from fitting.
They shouldn't fall out BUT i have loctited in BB's and they have still come out :banghead: :banghead:

2RODS

If I can't be a good example, then I will just have to serve as a horrible warning...

As John Wayne once said:

no eye deer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by no eye deer »

Just a thought on Bearing Buddies (having lost 2).

I got some flat steel strap and a couple of air filter type (4") hose clamps from Gunbalunya Hardware (the dump) .Bent the strap over the top of the BB and put the hose clamp on the hub.
Takes about 4 minutes longer to grease 'em up, but they dont come off, and are harder to steal.

Mark
landlocked
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by landlocked »

another tip is to get some big size heat shrink and put that on over the hub and BB
that way it stays balanced. :drinking1:
From the heart of the channel country.
To be old and wise, one has to have been young and stupid !!!
grumpy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by grumpy »

Every boat trailer I've had over the last 30 years has had bearing buddies and I can't ever remember having any collapse in that time. :lolpoint: :lolpoint: I do make a point of jacking up the boat every now and again and spinning the wheels to listen if the bearings sound OK. :wink: :wink: If they sound a bit rough I will change them but they very rarely ever need it. :clap: :clap:

The last boat and trailer I've had for five years with the same bearings no problems. This rig mainly does the Gunn Point road and Dundee road at least once or twice a month and they are both renowned for ro...ting trailers. :bs: :bs: In all of the trips on these roads I recall losing one bearing buddie (carry spare wheel cap in the glove box in case) but like 2rods said they are full of grease so no big deal when you get home to pull the wheel down clean it and re grease it. If you are concerned about the bearing buddies falling off you can get a centre punch and rough up the inside of the hub where the buddie seats making it tighter. :smile:

Bigger trips to the Daly or Victoria River give the bearings a test so the greeses gun goes in and I give them a few pumps now and again. :clap: :clap:

Bearing Buddies are the go cheaper and easier :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
A mans boat is a sign of his strengths and weaknesses???? (and wealth)
adam
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by adam »

I tried the dura hubs but could not get them to seal, oil everywhere not good for the breaks. Am back to bearing buddies now.
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

adam wrote:I tried the dura hubs but could not get them to seal, oil everywhere not good for the breaks. Am back to bearing buddies now.
Adam..if you still have them I'll give ya $20 for them.... Might try them on the camper trailer :naughty:

2RODS

As John Wayne once said:

grumpy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by grumpy »

Just another thought with the weather turning to cr..p it's a good time to check and maybe replace bearings. :idea: :idea:

Last year when the cyclone came I had to dash back from the Daly River in the evening and at least 100 boats passed me going towards Adelaide River township. Guess where the cyclone passed over yeh you guessed it Adelaide River township. :bow: :bow:
A mans boat is a sign of his strengths and weaknesses???? (and wealth)
dodgyone
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dodgyone »

Servicing reels in front of the computer for me today. Alan Tani to the rescue on more than one occasion so far. :wink: :wink:
Don't wanna be a flat water hero.

Real men go fast when it's rough.
adam
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by adam »

$20 eehh 2 Rods, bought them for $130, maybe I should put them up for auction :naughty: Might get more drinking money that way. :drinking5: . How about $20 dollars each, do I here any more bids. :angel:
2rods
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by 2rods »

adam wrote: How about $20 dollars each, :angel:

Ok but I need to wait for pay day :mrgreen:

2RODS

As John Wayne once said:

justin
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by justin »

just a question on the bearing buddies as it seem a fair few people seem to have them.

if you pump them full of grease and with the high temperatures will the bearings overheat as they say when fitting the bearings on a hub be sure not to over pack with grease.

thanks
Fishhard reel service a cast past the rest