Spaniards on jigs

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Skippadman
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Spaniards on jigs

Post by Skippadman »

After a few questions on here recently about catching Spanish Makerel on jigs (and micro jigs), attached is a photo of the larger one, caught by Josh, out of a couple that we got earlier this week off Dundee. He was a touch over 1.10m and the rest came in just under the 1m mark. Jigs used were the Gomoku 40 and 60 gram jigs in a variety of colours. We also used the cheaper metal slugs when we got sick of donating the expensive ones. Rod was a Gomoku PE1-1.5 with a Stradic 3000 CI4 (probably should have put the 4000 on as we were nearly spooled a couple of times). The trick was just driving from spot to spot along the long lost - witches nose - Bowral ribbon and just looking for the fish on the sounder. Once found, jigs were away and we hoped they came back!

I have found recently that around the neap tide swing, live baiting (or fresh bait) off Lee Point has worked for some large 1.2 - 1.3m spaniards and on the spring tide swing, jigging off Dundee has been very productive; albeit, on slightly smaller fish.

Hope if helps someone out this weekend or fuels a jigging mission. I will be down around the Perons this weekend if you're out that way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jer
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Spaniards on jigs

Post by Jer »

Great info and killer fish! Thank you for sharing.
Scott12345
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott12345 »

Not really sure on jigging technique as i havent really done it?.. hopefully making the trip out to lee point this weekend be good to get onto some of those macks
Tap'n'Zap
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Tap'n'Zap »

Mate that's just awesome, thanks for sharing.
Skippadman
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Skippadman »

Scott12345 wrote:Not really sure on jigging technique as i havent really done it?.. hopefully making the trip out to lee point this weekend be good to get onto some of those macks
Mate, I have found keeping it simple works for the spaniards. Once you mark them on the sounder, use either a lift and drop method (40/60/80gram jig depending on tide, lifted 2-3m off the bottom and then allowed to drop) or a high speed retrieve method if they are thick on the sounder. I won't use wire (hence the expense but it gets results) and you have to be very quick to react as most of the times you will only fell a small bump or snip and loose the jig. Use a purpose made jigging rod as it really helps.

If you jig up a smaller mack or Spanish flag this weekend, sit on one of the Lee Point reefs/wrecks and float them out the back as a livie. Worked a treat last time.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

Skippadman wrote:
Scott12345 wrote:Not really sure on jigging technique as i havent really done it?.. hopefully making the trip out to lee point this weekend be good to get onto some of those macks
Mate, I have found keeping it simple works for the spaniards. Once you mark them on the sounder, use either a lift and drop method (40/60/80gram jig depending on tide, lifted 2-3m off the bottom and then allowed to drop) or a high speed retrieve method if they are thick on the sounder. I won't use wire (hence the expense but it gets results) and you have to be very quick to react as most of the times you will only fell a small bump or snip and loose the jig. Use a purpose made jigging rod as it really helps.

If you jig up a smaller mack or Spanish flag this weekend, sit on one of the Lee Point reefs/wrecks and float them out the back as a livie. Worked a treat last time.
With this technique, all you have to do is find them.
shot 4.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott12345
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott12345 »

Cheers for that hopefully i have a bit of luck
rumluck
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by rumluck »

Good work and good info mate. I'll be around whitches nose tomorrow trying to find one of those pointy fish.
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Well done
feeds
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by feeds »

Mate that is some great info. I hope to put it to the test over the next few weeks
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

Great post mate.....very informative well done and thank you for sharing.
Richieboy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Richieboy »

Great pos and pics. Wicked screen shot dannet.

Ever tried popping or stick baiting them up?

Richie
Mad KEEN!
Skippadman
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Skippadman »

Richieboy wrote:Great pos and pics. Wicked screen shot dannet.

Ever tried popping or stick baiting them up?

Richie
I used to stick bait for them all the time off the shallow reef edges in Townsville. Might work up the Vernon Island way?