Narrows

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
chanos
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Narrows

Post by chanos »

Went to the Narrows yesterday (mon), road to saltwater arm is great, was able to sit on 100---120 most of the way home, slow trip in due to a car in front doing it slow and i didnt want to be a total redneck and zoom past and cover him in dust. :grin: Anyway, hit the water at first light, got on my spot then proceeded to decimate the Powertail population for about 2 hours :banghead: Then finally hooked a jewie, a good one eh. Glad I was on my own as he took me all round the boat twice, anyone in the way would have been trampled I reckon. Then hooked a metre thready, for such a big fish, not a lot on them i reckon. Things went quiet so went exploring and chasin barras for awhile but tide was not really right for them. Back to my spot for last of incoming tide and got another jewie. That was it for the day as how much fish do you really want plus I dont go much on catch and realease with jewies. The last jewie was caught on shark flesh as pilchards were getting low.
Something I did notice was the colour of the fish, the 1st one was very dark and yellow whilst the 2nd was quite silver, maybe one was a river resident and the other had only just come in?
Anyway, off to do it all again tomorrow :grin:

chanos.

Fishing is not a matter of life and death, it is far more serious than that.
Scotty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scotty »

Good stuff Chanos :clap: I have never been out there and intend to get there soon. Whats the best tides for the ramp and how bad are the rocks?? Bible says 3 metres for the ramp but do the rocks still come into play.

Whats the tidal difference?

Any other tips you'd like to share??

Thanks for taking out some powertails, Ray appreciates it :rofl: :rofl:

Scotty
CodFather
Seadog
Seadog

Post by CodFather »

true i do appreciate someone else trying their hand at those masters of the mud, Powertail.

I however wouldn't pull up beside the gentleman and ask if i could fillet them to take home for a meal as you would Scottty :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:cheers:
Ray
GLS
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by GLS »

Well done chanos, good to sea your clearing the sealanes of those nil scale terrors of the sea. Let us know how you do on Tue/ wed. :clap: :cheers:
harmsey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by harmsey »

i like the narrows too but the road dies very quickly. scotty the 3m quote to get over the rock bar is very conservitive. i would say 2m and you would idle across. it starts about 100m from the ramp and last about 300m untill you hit the first little creek to you left stick basically to the middle. tides are about 2 hour after darwin but that can vary on a big tide. you have a very small window to fish there on anything more then 2m movement. the current that rips through the narrows itself is very impressive but very productive for jewies and goldies. only fished there a dozen times but fished it with a regular for the first few. if you want anymore info drop us a pm :cheers:

:cheers: harmsey
pagey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by pagey »

how are those rock bars at saltwater arm chanos????? :fu: :banghead: :banghead:

:cheers:
Pagey
a day at work is a day wasted
Silence is Golden, and Duct tape is SILVER

"Fool proof systems do not take into account the ingenuity of fools." -Ken Clayton

'When the world is made to be idiot-proof, the world will become overpopulated with idiots.'
max
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by max »

this weekends tides are good for trolling up a big barra at narrows rockbar on the right and go over to wiltshire no 1 on the lower part of the tide for a troll water should be nice and clear after neaps(guess I will be working again)
Scotty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scotty »

Harmsey/Max, Thanks for the tips/advice. I think I might have a go on Sat although weekends are a bit busy. :cheers:

I suppose larger lures are the go out there, what sought of depths are we talking??

Hopefully Chanos had a good day today. Further tips appreciated.

Cheers

Scotty :grin:
max
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by max »

that rock bar on the right will come up from about 9 mtrs to 2 or 3 it makes a nice old mess of the bibs dragging over rock but if you drop the rod back on contact its amazing how far you can go