False Killer whales at the Perons.

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

False Killer whales at the Perons.

Post by balou »

My mates and I did a run to the Perons Friday overnight for the local fishing comp. It was a comp where you had to target a lot of different species. Our aim was to get at least 3 of every species. We started wide of Sail city and worked our way down towards the Perons.

We caught some coral trouts, a crackin 60cm red emperor and mainly trickies out at sail city. Around Batemans we got some macks, trevally, tuna but didn't spend a lot of time fishing the bottom. At the south Perons the queenies were not biting but we had fun with the blues right on dusk. They were in feeding frenzy, hitting every lure we casted at them.

We made it into channel point just after dark, cooked up dinner and waited for the turn at 11.30. We picked up a couple of jewies before the turn and decided to turn in . The early start and afew too many beers :D . I set the alarm for the 4.30 am change but the skipper and The other deckie would not get up. After half hour I backed the drag off and went back to sleep. Right on sunrise the saltiga was singing a sweet note . Everyone sprung out of bed and I landed the biggest one of the trip. Enough jewies as the box getting full so we cooked breakfast and went to try again for some queenies. The queenie which were thick 2-3 weeks ago have all disappeared .

We changed tactics and decided to look for them on the sandbars between the Perons. On a way there we came across what we thought at the time was a pod pilot whales. Later we were told they were false killer whales. It was only 4-5 meter deep but we had a pod of 12-15 swimming around and under the boat.

One of them had a massive mackerel in it mouth and the rest were just following him playing. They were also following us around in the swallow water. It was awesome and we got some get videos and photos. We left them to play after watching them for 30 mins.

Not sure if this is a common occurrence but we were all in awe of Mother Nature at this stage.

We saw the queenies we were after on the sandbar and pick up a couple sight casting.

We headed into blaze to try for some goldies and cobia but we were running out of time as final weight in was at 5. Not much luck at blaze so we made a run for home arriving at the weigh station just before 5.

It was a great couple days on the water , we did managed to take home 5 categories in the comp and got my name on the trophy which made it even better. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: False Killer whales at the Perons.

Post by jeffish »

Just magic mate ,,,Brilliant pics of the whales :mrgreen: 8)
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

That is a bl..dy ripper red
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Great story and pics. The whales have been down there for a while
wadeqld'r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wadeqld'r »

Sounds like a great trip mate, nice work.
darwinguy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by darwinguy »

Top trip, well done boys
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

smoked it!
theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by theodosius »

Awesome
NBN
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NBN »

Outstanding!
AM
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by AM »

Those whales must hang around down there at times tran we had a big pod like that Anzac Day 2014 out near the South Island. No cockroaches for me Saturday night on the way back up the coast from the little moyle but wS a great trip anyway. I think 86 is still down there.
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

AM wrote:Those whales must hang around down there at times tran we had a big pod like that Anzac Day 2014 out near the South Island. No cockroaches for me Saturday night on the way back up the coast from the little moyle but wS a great trip anyway. I think 86 is still down there.
Hi Andy, we saw this big pod Saturday morning on the weastern side of the Perons. Squeaked like dolpin on TV. Friday night while sleeping in the channel we heard pods of something blowing around us in the darkness. They didn't affect the cocky biting as we got two , the boat beside us got afew and the couple of boat in front of us we yahooing not stop for ages.

Must be rare for you to miss on the cockies mate.
mnemonix
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by mnemonix »

They're probably feeding on all the Mahi Mahi in the area.
JewieQueen
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by JewieQueen »

Wicked trip Balou! Love the pics of the False Killer whales, amazing experience I bet, The Perons can be a great place to witness mother nature, we have seen humpbacks breaching out wide of Batemans. Something interesting, false killer whales are apart of the dolphin family and not whale family as the name suggests which is more than likely why you heard them squeak like dolphins.
It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.

Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years.

“Fishing, with me, has always been an excuse to drink in the daytime”

"Soon after I embraced the sport of angling I became convinced that I should never be able to enjoy it if I had to rely on the cooperation of the fish."
Quinntreximon
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Quinntreximon »

Great trip, best red I have seen for a long time. That whale experience would have been awesome to see, brilliant. Btw faulse killer whales and pilot whales are the same thing.
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

Quinntreximon wrote:Great trip, best red I have seen for a long time. That whale experience would have been awesome to see, brilliant. Btw faulse killer whales and pilot whales are the same thing.
Hey Ash , diffenitely a good red which smashed a stripe head straight up. We had this same discussion at the comp presentation dinner apparently false killers whales are different species to pilot whales. They all do look similar on Google.

We you taking me fishing in your new rig?