Bynoe Harbour Help

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Matthew Brown
Silver Member
Silver Member

Bynoe Harbour Help

Post by Matthew Brown »

I will be heading over to crab claw island in the middle of October. I was wondering if people could give me some advice about the area.

The inside of Indian Island around all the drop offs look good. Do they hold fish or just no good?

What's the area around bare sand island like?

How long will it take to get there?

Any considerations for weather that I need to take into account??

Cheers for ny help. :sailing:

Feeling Lucky
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Feeling Lucky »

Hey Matthew, Maybe try fishing Simms Reef on the turn of the tide. You get jewies, snapper and other reef fish. Not to hard to find either normally their are other people on it. Look in Matt's fish finder I'm pretty sure it is in there. Good luck.

F.L.
Mad Keen
My job is just a fill in between fishing trips.
Timbo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Timbo »

Hi Matt,

Sim's reef fishes well for Jewies and reef fish at times. The Macks might have left by then. In Bynoe you have the old Jetty that can fish well on sun rise or sun set. Haven't really fished the area much but have herd great reports from out the front. Think the best thing to do is explore, if these dry season winds go away it should be great out there. The fish finder book has some great starting points and if you see some interesting bottom out the front just give it a go. They get good crabs about the place too if you like em?

Have fun! :cheers:

Timbo
Failure is only an event, Not a lifestyle
BarraBeast
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by BarraBeast »

Matts has an cool CD you can use to measure distances. I use it all the time to calculate fuel requirments. worth its weight in snapper fillets!! 8-)

Fished heaps in bynoe, options are endless. happy to walk you through it in detail but here are some snippets -

tapa bay mouth
rock bars just north of Raft Point
main creek just behind turtle island
the bynoe ledges see FF book
crab claw wreak is sweet
deep gutters opposite pearl farm, rankin point i think it's called.
Simms goes off also the drains off the reefs behind it(Grose island) on super springs, cast for all sorts of stuff

all depends on the tides of course. hope this helps
"in chemistry, Alcohol is a solution! "
harmsey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by harmsey »

simms reef is usally a sure thing, well close to it. the fishfinder covers the area really well. lots of different areas to fish. just watch the wind if it starts to rip up against a big tidal push, barrabeast loves it but the average mortal finds it hell on high water.