3 amigoes

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
CodFather
Seadog
Seadog

3 amigoes

Post by CodFather »

OK i've heard of it but have no idea where it is or what you chase out there. Anyone know???

Ray

dodgyone
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

3 amigos

Post by dodgyone »

I think it is about 50 kms off dundee. Three big banks one after another. Do remember someone talking about planning a trip out that way shortly. That the same one you are thinking of?
Don't wanna be a flat water hero.

Real men go fast when it's rough.
CodFather
Seadog
Seadog

Post by CodFather »

Hmm have no idea dodgyone, if that is what they call the three amigoes, however if it is i'm going to dundee next weekend i'll check it out. You up for it 2Rods :mrgreen: .

Ray.
harmsey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by harmsey »

havent heard of the 3 amegoes but im off to dundee saturday morning for a look maybe sail city or 17 mile. will ask a mate who knows the area realy well and get back to you. weather is looking good hey :mrgreen:
Fishhead
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Fishhead »

3 Amigo's is roughly (havn't got a chart in front of me), 20Nm NW of Lorna. So named 'cos on the old fathom charts it showed up as 3 circular contour lines. First heard about it from a mack fisherman about 10 yrs ago, they stop off there and occasionally do pretty well apparently. we have done alright there over the years, it's well worth a look. One interesting thing about the place is the abundance of these red snapper things... usually around 500-600 mm long, snapper shape, small mouth, and red like a little reddy. Colloquially known as bitumen fish... cos they taste like it! let me know how you go out there...
cheers
CodFather
Seadog
Seadog

Post by CodFather »

Thanks Fishhead, you have confirmed my suspicions after looking at the charts around lorna on friday. I noticed the structure on the maps to the NW of lorna. And someone mentioned that they thought it was past lorna.

Be very interested to see what's around there. Although not complaining i'd love to bottom bash something other then Trickies and Goldies. And the main reason for finding the area was after being told that Gold Band are around there.

just have to make the trip and find out.

thanks
Ray
Fishhead
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Fishhead »

Never caught goldband out there, but had some great days bottom fishing and livebaiting big mackies. plenty of sharks of course. bit more variety than the harder fished places. however, if you want some really interesting bottom fishing, take a spin out to flat top bank. about 85Nm due west of darwin, may be a bit closer from dundee... most awesome bottom fishing i've seen...
cheers
CodFather
Seadog
Seadog

Post by CodFather »

hmmm i can make that. what's around there??? that makes it so good eg fish speicies wise.

Ray
Aussie_8

3 Amigos

Post by Aussie_8 »

I think you may be after the 3 features close together at 12.12.00 S 130. 01.12 E Note this is only a rough Lat/Long so if you do go out there and find them enter them as a waypoint on your GPS. According to the chart there's about 25mt depth over them

regards, Aussie_8

Return to “Bluewater”