Who fished this weekend?

And jacks, salmon, jewfish - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Who fished this weekend?

Post by Matt Flynn »

Who fished this weekend? Any luck?

Shane Doevy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Shane Doevy »

Fished a few creeks in West Arm this morning - tides were too high but i knew that - anyway had abit of a look around - no fish but still better than working - its going to be hard to go back but anyway still a few weeks to go.
Saw the Barrabeast heading out to little west arm but didnt know until it was past me otherwise i would have said gidday. The newly fitted bearing buddys decided they were better off ont he road so theres another job to do - might have to fit them with loctite this time i think - not sure why they popped out but they did - found all but one on the way home.
Drove out to Channel Island and walked out on the rocks - lots of bust upos along the mud bank but couldnt get there to cast into the hole. Thankfully i didnt wander too close as a big shark busted up the place shortly after i headed back along the rocks. Big shark ( not sure which type) ripped into the mob and there were small barra jumping everywhere so they were there.
Young bloke caught a small cod so not a complete waste of time - good way to kill an houir anyway.
Shane
Work is what i do to pay for fishing!!
harmsey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by harmsey »

fished shady for one keeper and heaps of rats. lost one big hook up and my favorite barra lure (halco laser pro, was blue but had no paint left) damm it!! :banghead: had a ball and the missus out fished me again! i think she might have to do some more overtime! little lucifiers were the go in light colours trolled over the 1st rockbar. there were fish around and i seen a few good ones landed in other boats. the road was good but the ramp was not so good on the fresh side, very shallow and muddy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
justin
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by justin »

went out accross east arm to the catalina creeks to the creek on the right and all i got was a trevally today normaly do quite well. also put a nice dent on the prop :mad: while i was trawling down the creek, as the tide was quite low there were alot more stumps sticking up than usual. apart fom that it was nice out.
Fishhard reel service a cast past the rest
G
Silver Member
Silver Member

Andy Grey's Old Haunt

Post by G »

I took old mate Andy Grey's advice and did some night time fishing on the low tide at Rapid Creek. I hooked on to something big when the runout slowed and worked it to the shore after about 5 minutes of too-ing and fro-ing. And, as is obvious from the lack of an attached photo, the bugger got off. I don't know what it was - it was too dark - but it might have been one of Andy Grey's old faithful Rapid Creek barra (it didn't jump, so it was probably just a big lump of Powertail).

I didn't follow Andy's instructions to the letter, which may have been the reason why I didn't go so good. It wasn't a neap and I was using dead mullet instead of live mullet (frig casting a net around there at night).

Nevertheless, a fairly promising result for the old haunt.
:fishing:
Cheers G
Whirly
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Whirly »

Shane - 'twas actually I in the Barra Beast heading over to West Arm on Sunday. Threw all manner of lures at all the likely spots without any luck - noted that strangely, for most of the day, there was no sign of any bait activity. I can only assume that where ever the bait was hanging out, so too were the big fellas. Managed to catch a few small snapper and moonfish (which went alright on my light trout tackle) at rocky area about 3/4 of the way up the arm. Had 6 pots out and had all but given up when we dragged in the biggest Jenny mudcrab I've ever seen - had a shell like logger-head turtle. Had a good day, lots of laughs with the Old Man up on a visit and even more bug-bites to keep me busy scratching today!
Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket?
dodgyone
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

west arm

Post by dodgyone »

Found it really hard getting any bait over there for a month or so now. Been casting around east arm and getting mullet before heading over.
Don't wanna be a flat water hero.

Real men go fast when it's rough.