Cable steering

fishfanatic
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Cable steering

Post by fishfanatic »

Can anyone shed any light on what's involved in cleaning/replacing the steering cable. It has got really hard to steer to the point I worry something may snap. Can it be cleaned out or does another whole new cable have to be fitted?
By the way I only ever spray the steering rod lightly with lanolin then wipe it down, I do not spray lube around willy nilly. :mrgreen:

'Take me drunk, I'm home"
Unknown

"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth".
John F. Kennedy

"The first principle of a free society is an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum"
Adlai E. Stevenson

"We are willing enough to praise freedom when she is safely tucked away in the past and cannot be a nuisance. In the present, amidst dangers whose outcome we cannot foresee, we get nervous about her, and admit censorship".
Forster, Edward

"Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear"
George Orwell

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
by Anonymous
NathanL
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Cable steering

Post by NathanL »

Trust me buy a hydralic unit, the difference is like night and day and it wont let you down out in the middle of nowhere.
My cable steering snapped on my old boat after experiencing issues like you describe leaving me nearly stranded, only just made it back to the boat ramp. If its got to that point you need to replace the cable - but it will fsck up again and you'll be back at square one.
Bullet
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Bullet »

Hey fishfinatic, if your going to the trouble of removing the cable, I wouldn't muck around, just replace it. If its getting tight its time to go.

Not a bad job, just need to know the length of your cable.

Nath, a cable will last a long time if its maintained and the boat isn't left sitting for six month. I recon I've heard more stories of people blowing hoses or had a leaking steering cyl than siezed cables. If you have a big donk I'd go for Hydraulic but for small motors cable for me.

:cheers: :mrgreen:
Cheers Bullet

I LIVE WITH FEAR, SOMETIMES SHE LETS ME GO FISHING!

DON'T NEED BAIT!
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

The cable snapped 40k of dundee in my last rig and straight away invest in hydro steering.
Not sure how much the cable cost to replace but purely for peace of mind it worth the 1k investment.
fishfanatic
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fishfanatic »

Well happy to announce the cable steering is all fixed - the steering is lighter than my car power steering 8)
Overall it was quite easy just bl..dy messy, the back of the boat and transducer is covered in CRC, grease and muck.
I wont go on too much about it as I spent half an hour typing up a full report of what I did, what I found etc only to have it disappear when I pressed the Preview button :banghead:
If anyone wants any advice or assistance I am more than willing to help.
ps managed to get all the free play out of my steering (has been in the steering ever since a well known boat dealership installed the cable steering).
In summary if I can do it with my limited mechanical aptitude anyone can :bonk: :D :P :mrgreen:
Unknown

John F. Kennedy

"The first principle of a free society is an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum"
Adlai E. Stevenson

"We are willing enough to praise freedom when she is safely tucked away in the past and cannot be a nuisance. In the present, amidst dangers whose outcome we cannot foresee, we get nervous about her, and admit censorship".
Forster, Edward

George Orwell

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
by Anonymous
Trier
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Trier »

Hi Fishfanatic,

Good stuff. Always good to hear a DIY job that turns out better than the original 'professional' installation. :cheers:

BTW, have you fixed the winch post and the SlowLux yet?
Cheers,

Ash
-----------------

If it doesn't fit, get a bigger hammer and hit it harder!

'You can't have mudcrabs without mud'. My son John
fishfanatic
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by fishfanatic »

BTW, have you fixed the winch post and the SlowLux yet?

Trier the slowlux is back on the road...the crack in the base of the trailer winchpost will be getting done this week. :mrgreen: Just gotta find a local welder.... :mrgreen:
Unknown

John F. Kennedy

Adlai E. Stevenson

Forster, Edward

George Orwell

by Anonymous
max
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by max »

Good going fixing the steering,I used to have cable then fitted hydraulic which is ok but up a tight creek give me cable any day :mrgreen: