Wuruma Dam Report 15-18 Apr 11

Dex38
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Wuruma Dam Report 15-18 Apr 11

Post by Dex38 »

Last weekend I hooked up the boat and travelled up to Wuruma Dam about 5 hours drive north of Toowoomba. It’s North East of Eidsvold and inland from Gladstone. Before the monsoonal type rains hit South East Queensland in Dec and Jan the dam held about 5% of its capacity. The country over which the dam water resides is typical Burnett country; hard, wooded country with rolling hills. The dam is now at 100% and is used for local irrigation. It was during this time the Barra were reported to be on the chew and quite easy to find. Well how times change when you put a heap of water between the fish. :banghead:

My deckie for the weekend was a chap who fishes the Rocky Bounty and has successfully nailed some nice barra in Wuruma over the years. So with a bit of local experience I was feeling confident we could pick up some nice fish. Wuruma barra have a good reputation for being hard fighting silver fish. :catch:

We arrived and found a camp sit right on the water. The campgrounds are a couple of km’s North of the dam wall. Basic amenities are there (no showers), but a quick dip in the dam (water temp about 26.0 degrees) sorted that fundamental requirement out. There are picnic shelters scattered around the edge of the dam with fire pits on most of them. Fire wood use to be supplied but the local timber mill has shut down, so we took our own. The campgrounds are free and support a transient grey nomad population overnight. Of note we were one of only three powerboats on the dam all weekend.

The boat ramp is well sign posted and easy to use and with the camp set up on the water we left the boat in overnight. Once set up we were on the water looking around the dam. The water being the height that it is now covers a lot of timber. The deepest parts I found in the dam were 36.0m. We set up drifts (motor off) thanks to a nice breeze and found we could push of the timber as we came across it. I had one nice 600m drift, casting at the banks. 8)

With the new LED lights fitted we headed out onto the dam at night. The moon was up and the wind was behaving itself. We headed for a nice shallow bay we had looked at earlier in the day. In we went drifting along again casting to all points of the compass. Poppers, frogs, vibes, classics, etc etc were put on the end of the line to no avail. The dimmer on the LED lights is a great little device, letting you push the lighting level right down.

After not finding the fish against the banks in the warmer water (up to 27.0 degrees at times), I started looking around in the deeper water. We found some bait with some nice fish arches sitting in around them in 15.0m of water. Out went and array of lures in an attempt to entice the fish. The trolling runs delivered nothing, so on went some oversized Vibes and we started lifting the lures through the depths and again we had nothing to show for our efforts.

In all we spent two full days and nights fishing the dam. I didn’t see any sign of a barra although one fishing group came in hand with some information stating the fish were in the shallows up in an arm near the dam wall. We went back out with this information but unfortunately again no results.

A disappointing fishing result, but getting time away from work and getting back on the water was very relaxing. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Wuruma Dam Report 15-18 Apr 11

Post by Matt Flynn »

Good to have a report from out that way even if you missed out :mrgreen:
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Mud »

Hard lines Dex...sounds like you did everythig you could...good report and some nice pics. Just gotta be there when they want to play the game....
Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...
Turtle
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Turtle »

Thats why we call it fishing and not catching.

Ahh well better luck next time anyway, each trip adds to the memory bank of do and don'ts.

Looks like a nice camping spot, with a chance at barra to top it off. :mrgreen: Although looks too cold for me.
Fishing in the top end isn't just a matter of life or death, it's much much more serious than that.
Dingo
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog
Location: Used to be Melville Island, now a crappy mainlander

Post by Dingo »

Some cracking pics Dex.

That camp site looks great, tied up boat, water that you can swim in, good fire, all as you needed was some barra. Next time.
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Its a nice dam in the wrong spot on the No-Go River. Name says it all maybe..

I've fished Wuruma quite a few times out of Bundaberg.

Only dam where I've caught bass and barra on the same day. Its one of 3 bass/barra dams like that in the Burnett region. Lenthalls (near Maryborough) and Monduran north of Gin Gin are the other 2.

Very active fishstocking group.

There used to be a shower on the outside of the amenities block up on the hill. Not there now?

The local dam caretaker has/had ice-cream buckets of ice for .50c each for those not having fridges.

The highest I've ever seen the dam is 15% and that was in 1990 (or so).

Rest of the time its been 5% or below.

Policy of water authority (now Sunwater) is to run the dam down with downstream irrigators having priority.

Last time I was there the water was 500 metres down from the picnic sheds. The whole arm that leads up to the picnic area was dry. There's a bulldozer at the bottom of the dam wall that was covered when it rained prematurely nearing the end of construction.

Lovely quiet spot though.

regards
Ronj
Regards
Ronje
SeekingBarradise
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by SeekingBarradise »

Nice trip Dex thanks for the updated photo's.
Like Ron i haven't seen the place over 13%ish.
We caught some nice barra there back in the day, i hope
they haven't all gone over the wall.

Can't wait to get out there and have a look again one day.

Cheers Lyndon.