Work to start on SHADY RAMP

Real time reports from FFFers on the things that matter most
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Work to start on SHADY RAMP

Post by Matt Flynn »

What would be good is to develop the coastal ramp near Point Stuart, and the access road. It would be like a brand new Dundee, easy access to some very exciting waters, albeit with significant tidal restriction for launch/retrieve.

Jer
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Jer »

Matt Flynn wrote:What would be good is to develop the coastal ramp near Point Stuart, and the access road. It would be like a brand new Dundee, easy access to some very exciting waters, albeit with significant tidal restriction for launch/retrieve.
Nah, I don't like that idea at all.. There'd definitely be way too many boats out there then :D
Scotty69
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scotty69 »

Agreed Jer, some areas need to be left for those looking for adventure!
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

tristan.sloan wrote:You hit the nail on the head there Nomad.

Lazy fishermen is the biggest problem we have, unless you are involved with the process and communicate with Government you cant complain about the outcome.

Just like Dundee the contract was signed off under the CLP government, this government cant get out of it. Its legally binding and watertight.

In saying that this ramp will certainty increase access to shady camp, it will be safer from crocodiles and it will mean nobody will get bogged launching
G'day Tristan, don't take this as a personal attack as I have a lot of respect you did while at afant.
But isn't that AFANTS job. Isn't they why we all (ok not all but a lot) pay membership or affiliation fees. On top of government grants to represent fishos.
I would be really interested to find out how the process works for afant to come up with a position on things like this. I remember doing a survey monkey survey many years ago from memory on Dina beech ramp usage. I also did one recently on nightcliffe ramp usage, but I think that was for council not afant, (but many have been afant). But that seems to be the extent of any consolation between afant and it's members.
It seems that it's those in the inner circle chat among them self to come up with a position, and general members or club members are very rearly consulted. I personally think in this instance they got it wrong.
There was pleanty of chatter here and between members of fishing club that this was not the best option. But it seems that afant was set not to change their position.
This ramp will not offer anything additional to what we have now. It does not give a greater launch window. It reduces how many can launch at a time. Yes there will be less chance of bogging, but how much of an issue was that. It was gannerally only the drunks that got bogged, and with ina few minuets they were towed out.

Again, not having a go at you. It was my understanding you were not so keen on this, but had to tow the company line do to speak. But there is no one else to ask these questions, as the new mob have clearly given the big up yours to members on this forum by having no one represent afant on this forum.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Agree 100% that it’s AFANT’s job to fight for what we require but not their responsibility 100%..
It is also up to everyone of us to make out thoughts known to the govt of the day. About anything
There is a general rule of thumb that for every contact with the local member, there are 20 others who have the same thoughts but couldn’t be stuffed doing anything about it and just hope that the govt will somehow be able to read our minds and do what we want.

Ive mentioned many times that in Tassie, when you pay for your boat rego and fishing licence, you have the opportunity to request what you want done and where.
I requested that the facilities at a nearby lake be upgraded and I couldn’t believe it when a ramp and jetty were constructed (obviously way smaller than what is needed here with the big tides, this was a lake) .
I contacted the dept responsible and asked how they chose ‘my lake’ to do the work. They told me that of all the people who filled the forms, I was the ONLY ONE to request any type of work to be done, so they spent heaps of money (our money) on my request. They also spent money at other lakes but mine was the only response.

Ever since that time, I have been a great believer in making my points known to the responsible minister
Give it a try, im sure you will be pleasantly surprised.
You will find that it takes less time talking to govt than the time spent on facebook or these forums
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Re the contract being let, any govt that reneges on any contract will be punished. They will have to pay compensation to the contractor (using our money of course) to get out of it. Then any other contractors will really gouge the price to ensure they don’t miss out. remember the Franklin dam debacle in Tassie (that was a great result but we, the taxpayer, really got smashed on that one)
It’s a bitter pill to swallow but
Rug
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Rug »

Speak out about a range of public policy issues and get active for the change you want to see.

I have no time for AFANT but like you I give Tristan credit for taking the time to engage and I noticed that he actually had consideration for all fisho's including those who don't own boats. Given they are an organization that takes public funding beyond their membership, they should be transparent to the wider community.

I also think the p..s poor turn out at the AFANT AGM might be an indicator of the rec fishing publics opinion of them.
Last edited by Rug on Thu May 25, 2017 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smile and the world smiles with you, fart and your all alone.
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

Yes seems too late now.
Just get them to put a few variations in, like moving it to Dundee and change the word ramp to pontoon haha or point Stuart like suggested. All builders love variations.
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

Rug wrote:Join a political party Mickkk. At times it will frustrate the cr.p out of you but it is a good way of having your say on a wide range of public policy issues.

I have no time for AFANT but like you I give Tristan credit for taking the time to engage and I noticed that he actually had consideration for all fisho's including those who don't own boats. Given they are an organization that takes public funding beyond their membership, they should be transparent to the wider community.

I also think the p..s poor turn out at the AFANT AGM might be an indicator of the rec fishing publics opinion of them.
Have thought of it a bit . But which one haha, couldn't hack the Labour Party, as not a fan of union thugary. But the clp seemed a bit of a "jobs for the boys" party. Will be interesting how they rebuild. They have missed a lot of opportunities, and dot seem to be doing a great deal in opersision.
I really seemed to line up with Gerry woods views, and live in his Electorate so he has been getting my vote. (apart from the recent crazy anti abortions views of late, but respect that that's his opinion.)

I 100% agree with you re the representing all rec fishos not just members. They seem to get a lot of funding compaired to other representative body's. (4wdnt gets bugger all and runs on the smell of an oily rag ad achieved some great things over re ent years for its members)
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

I sympathise with Jer's point of view.

They are sealing the road up Cape York Peninsula, it will completely change the nature of "doing the Cape".

Problem is the relentless growing pressure on existing spots with sealed roads.

I think they need to build more rivers ...
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

Scotty69 wrote:Agreed Jer, some areas need to be left for those looking for adventure!
bl..dy oath