Shady Camp River Knowledge

Real time reports from FFFers on the things that matter most
sam49

Shady Camp River Knowledge

Post by sam49 »

G,Day, going to Shady next weekend, have never been there before, just wondering how far it is from the barrage to the mouth ? Also to Tommycut etc. Are there any obstacles in the river or can u just hold it flat down the middle the whole way?
Cheers Fellas

scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Shady Camp River Knowledge

Post by scottmac »

35kms to mouth.
No obstacles, except shallow for first km until first junction. Should be right with all the fresh coming down though. Watch out for unseen boulders/rocks when you launch and watch your prop on the gravel when retrieving.

Tommycut 8kms from Sampan, go wide if low tide.

Or just follow the hordes! Haha! Good luck.
mickkk
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mickkk »

No obstacles, first few kms are shallow, but will be fine this time of year with all the water.
Will need a 4wd to launch.
From memory it's around 40 kms to the mouth. I would allow 15ish around to the mouth of tommy cut. Can get rough out the front. Especially in the arvos. On lows you have to go quite wide to get around.

When drive up or down the river, and there's another boat in front coming, both n the middle of the river, go right. When trawling, if you are trawling the left side of the Chanel or bank, and there's someone coming towards you, they gave right away, you have to move right.
I know it sounds like I'm lecturing, but it's my biggest bugbear of out there. Can be 40 boats there, and it's all going smoothly, till wanker think his trawl line is more important than boating rules, and refuse to change their line, even you have right of way. End up playing chicken, and often ends in tangled or cut lines.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Good points there Mickey.
Road rules apply, keep to starboard (right) and pass other oncoming boats –port to port.
Just remember that most boats will be trolling with lines around 50m out the back so don’t cut across their lines
The guides are the worst for this.

Oh, one more very important thing
If you catch a big fish with a red tag in it, throw it back because it had a disease that will make you go weak at the knees, that’s why they put the red tag in it :twisted: