Red bass moving south

Real time reports from FFFers on the things that matter most
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Red bass moving south

Post by Matt Flynn »

Was just talking to the Port Stephens mob ... a red bass has been speared off Port Stephens, probably a first.

This is interesting, considering a coral trout has been caught in Sydney Harbour.

Nambucca Heads crew tell me it is a very late year with their annual runs of fish running a month or two behind because of warm water, but the fishing has been good, except for the mullet beach haul, apparently way down in that area.

With those tropicals moving, should be dorados off Tassie by Christmas ... hang on, they have already caught dorados off southern Tassie :D

Scotty69
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Red bass moving south

Post by Scotty69 »

Is it a confirmed Red Bass? Sometimes reef jacks (large mangrove jack) are confuses as red bass.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

I'd say so, we discussed jacks in the same conversation. That said, I haven't seen a pic.
cuddlescooper
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cuddlescooper »

I have a theory that every thing will move south eventually. Darwin will end up like the kimberlys with bugger all wetlands, hot and dry apart from the wet season ect. Just a part of evolution. The barrier reef will grow to the south ect. Only problem is that man will prevent a lot of the growth
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Will be plenty of change down here too. Long, dry summers will cause more fires, which will change the forests. Twaz fire in the highlands this summer.

Went from a summer dustbowl to non-stop winter drizzle this year.

Already new species being caught, kingies and pink snapper all the way to the southern end, and KG whiting building in numbers.