Port Roper

Real time reports from FFFers on the things that matter most
Braxi

Port Roper

Post by Braxi »

G'day all,

My mate and I are driving from WA in a fortnight hoping to get into Port Roper... has anyone been out there recently or fished a run off out there?

From what we have heard, the roads are not open yet but hope to be in the near future. Any tips or info on the river, access road would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

c9h14n
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Port Roper

Post by c9h14n »

Maxi, you probably won't be able to drive in until about May this year.
Rhet
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Rhet »

The Roper H'way re-opened to the Bar yesterday. You can launch there and drive the boat down to Port. The gate to give you vehicle access to get down to the Port, probably won't be opened for quite a few weeks.....maybe several weeks.

I think it is extremely ambitious to be planning to get to Port in 2 weeks by car, boat.....no problem.
Braxi

Post by Braxi »

That sounds positive!!! Thanks guys for your feedback. Do you know how far it would be to the Prt from Roper Bar?
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

About 140km, get some advice from someone in the know (I don't know much about the river) because there are a few hazards in the river.
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

I've fished the Roper.

Dannet's right

Its 130 km from Roper Bar to Port Roper. Port is upstream of mouth

Then about 20 km to river mouth making 150km.

2 dangerous places if you don't know river are Tomato Island (about 25km down river just upstream from Ngukurr) and the rocks around Mountain Ck about 40km downstream from Roper Bar.

The Mountain Ck rocks consist of a rocky/pandanus island smack in the middle of the river a few hundred km upstream of the creek and 2 big rocks towards the northern side of river just downstream from creek.

Need to be alert (not alarmed) around Hawks Nest Island a couple of km down from Kangaroo Is as well.

Happy to send map if you pm your e-mail.
Regards
Ronje
Braxi

Post by Braxi »

That's some great help. Thank you.

Ronje,
My email address is [email protected]

With the amount of rain, do you think it would be worth the trip to the mouth? It sound like it should be a good run off out there??
craig.g
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by craig.g »

Mates going this week if weather allows so will try and post some feedback when I chat to him

cheers n goodluck Craig
ronje
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ronje »

Braxi

Sent you an e-mail.

Use the info in the spreadsheet in conjunction with google earth.
Regards
Ronje
garrynt
Seadog
Seadog

Post by garrynt »

NT Road report
The Nathan River road is from Roper Highway (say Roper Bar) thru Tomato Island, past Port Roper Turnoff & on to Ryans bend (near Carpentaria Hwy/ Heartbreak/Ryans)
Road currently closed. (7th March2017)
But you can get to Roper Bar
Bar currently on about 0.5m and failrly steady over last few days with a few localised showers.

http://www.ntlis.nt.gov.au/roadreport/o ... #KATHERINE
Braxi

Post by Braxi »

Thank you all or the info. Its promising to see the river dropping so we can hopefully get in there. That cyclone/ low seemed to pass the western side so hopefully not too much impact on the Gulf side.

Craig, it would be interesting to hear how your mate went down there over the weekend.

Thanks heaps for the email Ronje, much appreciated!!

Cheers folks.
garrynt
Seadog
Seadog

Post by garrynt »

Have just returned from Roper, launching at Roper Bar Store. (speak to Veronica)
Saw about a dozen boats on water over the weekend, many had headed out to the mouth.(One we know went to Maria Island)
We only went as far as the Phelps.
Good trip down at night. No GPS, just a vague memory of what was where & taking caution at known bad areas. (Mates boat)
Greatest concern was didnt see the "twin sisters" on the way down, must of been just under the tide. (Those outcrops have claimed many a boat)
Use Ronjes settings to put in your GPS (a must). Tomato island crept up on way back in the dark, but the lights at ramp had brain ticking over.
A few decent logs to watch for in the flotsam.
We fished Black Fella Creek, got a few over the 2 days. But still hard work awaiting the right outgoing tide level & then waiting some more. (It wasnt going off as we had heard) Mates fished it previous 3 days for zip. Our boat got a 111cm & released.

Road down was the best I have seen for this time of year. But 2 days later & a bit of rain & alot of traffic & the road was turning to crud fast with tyres cutting through the top layer.
Roper Bar had risen on the Thursday / Friday night after rain. Casting room for a max of 2 people if you have loved ones. More room out along the bar for the madder ones (Used to be me)
Keep an eye on Roper Bar facebook. Their finger on the pulse, daily photos updates.
Hodgson river 0.8 over bridge. Roads have started grading Nathan River Rd in prep for its opening.
scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by scottmac »

Unfortunately they have had no rain at all on the downstream flood plains. Might have to give it a miss for the fourth year in a row. Pity, as its my favorite River to fish.