City heat

Real time reports from FFFers on the things that matter most
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

City heat

Post by Matt Flynn »

The weather radar shows that fronts seem to dump their rain over cities. Is it the heat from the cities triggering the rain? Or a quirk of geography where cities lie?

Or just a coincidence?

Attached picture shows rain over Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

scottmac
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: City heat

Post by scottmac »

I dunno, but the heat from big industrial plants (Inpex, Gove) seems to make the storms go around them I reckon.
dannett
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by dannett »

I'm with Scottmac. There have been studies that indicate this too. From a physics stand point a cold front causes the air to condense and lessen the air's ability to hold water. This drives up the relative humidity to saturation and causes precipitation, rain. Heat has the opposite effect.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Must be a coincidence then ...
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

My grandmother grew up in Bankstown (Sydney) and she recalled getting huge frosts in winter when she was a kid (she was 80 when she told me this). They haven’t had a frost there in the last 50 years – probable due to the massive urban sprawl and concrete jungle that conducts heat and keeps the ground warm overnight

Im not sure that a relatively small (in the big scheme of things) facility would have much effect on local weather