Cahills crossing depth

Real time reports from FFFers on the things that matter most
Scotty69
Gold Member
Gold Member

Cahills crossing depth

Post by Scotty69 »

G'day Folks,

Looking at doing a last camping trip for the year out Arnhem/Coburg way with the family. I know everyone says to cross Cahills on the low tide and I've done a fairly extensive search on here. The only thing I've seen on water levels is "it takes a 5.5m and above to break over the crossing."

So my question is, how true is that statement, as some neap tides don't even reach that level on the high. If that statement is actually true, the line of thought is that you could cross on a high tide of say 5.3M or lower. A few dates in early October has the low tide mid to late arvo leaving not much daylight time for a leisurely travel to some of the further destinations. Where as if it's a high tide of 4.5M - 5.3M, I should be able to cross at any time?

Cheers

wazdog
Seadog
Seadog

Re: Cahills crossing depth

Post by wazdog »

scotty,
Call the coppers at Jabiru buddy, I reckon they will help you out.
fish4me123
Seadog
Seadog

Post by fish4me123 »

You can cross at anytime if it's not your car. The govt and hire cars do it all the time Also remember at this time of year the water can be salty when pushing up
tight lines
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

Yeah they build those hire/govt cars completely differently to the average unit. Carry more, go over much rougher roads and always go thru deeper water.
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Best bet is to call the cops , I haven't done it for years but last trip they gave me some tips on best tides
and times to cross .