* Blogs    * Barrabucks    * The Logo Shop    * Arcade    * Gallery    * Chat    * FAQ    Barramundi Fishing 
  Contact Contact      * Register    * Login  *
   * Register
FISH FINDER Book

Share This Topic On: Share on Facebook FacebookShare on Twitter TwitterShare on Reddit RedditShare on Tumblr TumblrShare on Google+ Google+

Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Barrabucks points on hand:
4,910.00 Barrabucks
Post Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:59 am    Post subject: Snag central.

So with a few previous efforts at Coroboree in the tinny yielding no entries in the current round of the seadogs comp due to lack of organization on my part for the paper. I was on my way out for a bit of a flick in the Mary. On my way out right near the marrakai track i picked up a Berkley hoodie in mint nick , like most warm clothes up here... good score ..... trip paid for already. Had a laugh at this bit of good and bad luck and was pretty sure ol mate would be spewin when he'd found out it had blown out of the tinny. I stopped by at the coroboree pub and asked for a paper for the comp as well as my pie with sauce and classic choc milk.

"We don't have it on the weekends " was the response but fortunately a freebie rural weekly was available for the trip. Issue 23 15th JUNE 2018 ...

Hopefully it will be OK ?????

A massive bushfire on the way had it pretty smoky but not much of a drama really.
Attachment:
Screenshot_2018-06-17-22-53-53.png
Made it no worries and I headed out and following a quick blast down a local track soon i was in position on the edge of the bank of a local lagoon flicking my yozuri into the shaded snags. A lone crow was the only sound for miles apart from the gentle breeze and lapping water along the steeply banked shoreline. Big trees littered the edge on a 45 deg tilt indicating that the whole area was pretty deep. A half hour or so only produced strikes from saratoga and a nice barra exploding through the surface then pulling the hooks rounded out the excitement for that spot
Attachment:
20180617_134557.jpg
before moving on a small 55cm baz broke the drought
Attachment:
20180617_140541.jpg
and i was almost embarrassed to get a pic of it .. I packed up and hit the road for a bit further snapping a quick couple of pics enroute.
Attachment:
20180611_131737.jpg
Attachment:
20180611_131732.jpg

Spot 2 .
Attachment:
20180611_104254.jpg

Track was a bit ordinary with suprise tree roots in the bulldust and the odd steep wallow or washout thown in for good measure to test the suspension out aswell as it being super dusty too. As soon as I'd arrived at the next area and scrambled down the cliff into position and landed a cast in the channel it was nailed. It was an Upgrade too...
Attachment:
20180617_150259.jpg
I snapped off a few pics and returned it to the water as I reviewed the pics I saw that I hadn't got the paper in the shot .... "far out" i said
Attachment:
20180617_145923.jpg
... I was spewin and hoped i could get another one.

100 More casts followed for a saratoga and a long tom but no more barra. Borderline hilarious. ... Still kicking myself for the next few minutes as I moved around the other side i continued to cast well into the risky spots ... this area produced nothing but a few follow ups and swirls as the lure was worked through the dense paperbarks also a couple of snags but got my lure back both times so not a problem. So with one last spot to try I left for an area I'd not fished for a few years.

The track did not get any better and the hard prints of the buffalo left in the now dry blacksoil rattled the turkeys in the esky to bursting point .... well that's my excuse anyway. Shortly afterwards the final dusty floodplain was done with and I pulled to a stop in a billowing cloud of fine bulldust. The rod was still rigged from the last area and sitting in the tray wrapped in the hoodie keeping the reel out of the dust . I grabbed the backpack and my spin rod heading down to the river.

Noting that I had no headlamp in my backpack about 50m on I headed out for the final couple of hours of sunlight for the evening. I made short work of the half km of walking along the bank often stopping in for a flick at any likely spots. Wherever the river swung into a tight bend or a log or 2 presented itself for a good cast or 10 a decent tally of small barra and a few saratoga were keeping things interesting. A nice sized sooty was a bit of a welcome addition to the species list for the afternoon too.
Attachment:
20180617_170300.jpg

Heaps of underized fish kept striking out of the timber and often I'd not even set the hook allowing it to get loose and not disrupt the areas snag. Several good fish struck the lures too and a few bustoffs in the dense timber piles later I was packing the spin rod away and making the trip back to get the baitcaster with 50lb. Righto. No more mucking around...There's no room in this spot to let them run it's all or nothing in a few metres of brutal adrenaline packed brawl.

A few more sets of pulled hooks then I had just landed it on the edge of the bamboo leaves along the logs, a few twitches as i retrived it along the edge added to the flash of the internal blade making it too irresistible for the resident fish waiting in the darkness .
Whump !!.... Yep.... Fish on!!
Immediately it was action stations and full lock 50lb braid hissed off the loomis and tinked as it was wound up in the small twigs and roots along the edge. Spray flew through the air sparkling in the setting sun as the fish got air several times and burrowed through the snag and bankside roots. The 50lb did the damage and the owners held strong in the hinge if the jaw and i lifted the fish ashore for a few pics.

More fish followed and a bit of a hot bite right as I had to bail reminded me to pack the headlamp and GPS next time.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

20,185.65 Barrabucks
Post Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Snag central.

Forget the paper in the last photo too?

You know, lots of southern people would just love to have a land-based "adventure" just like that. Everyday LB fishing to you guys but certainly an adventure for them.

Any of the places you go to under access threat these days?

Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

25,181.40 Barrabucks
Post Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Snag central.

Wicked!

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

1,830.00 Barrabucks
Post Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Snag central.

Awesome story, very detailed read and a nice part of the NT

thanks for sharing

FOMOB

Site Administrator
Site Administrator

1,507,058.70 Barrabucks
Post Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Snag central.

Great report, love the pix, real Territory stuff.

JACKHAMMER: The Fishing Tax Song
ImageImageImage
ESSENTIAL: New NT Fishing GPS Card - 650+ waypoints
Outback Australia: True Stories 1
Outback Australia: True Stories 2
Darwin and NT fishing charters and accommodation

Profile Personal album  

Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

4,910.00 Barrabucks
Post Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Snag central.

ronje wrote:
Forget the paper in the last photo too?

Nope, check the comp thread mate.....All sorted

You know, lots of southern people would just love to have a land-based "adventure" just like that. Everyday LB fishing to you guys but certainly an adventure for them.

Yep .... pretty much "just another day in Darwin" mate didn't even try that hard .. I could take your mates up on a lap through here for a flick but might be a carton or 2 fee involved. ..lol :rofl:

Any of the places you go to under access threat these days?

Probably mate ...isn't everywhere. ...

theodosius wrote:
Wicked!
yep ....pretty much thought it was pretty good for a few hours effort in the dry season might head back again one day soon .... possible night flick too.

b-radical wrote:
Awesome story, very detailed read and a nice part of the NT

thanks for sharing

Yep definitely is a top bit of the NT out that way even though camping is off limits :D . Hoping that the M.River N. Park has a bit of a say in the bed and banks claim out that way for us rec. anglers fishing out there since pretty much forever (long before it was a NP....)

Matt Flynn wrote:
Great report, love the pix, real Territory stuff.

No worries Matt ... all pics were taken off the mobile mate . Here's a few more pics ... hope u enjoyed the read everyone and that it keeps u keen to get out amongst em for a bit longer yet .......they still have to eat everyday and accurate casting will draw a hit if you run a good lure choice and present it correctly. Sometimes 10 or so casts will go untouched then they are all over it ...

Thanks for the positive feedback fellas . Hope you get a few on your next trip out in the great Aussie outback .

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

5,325.00 Barrabucks
Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: Snag central.

Top effort,
keep up the good work, nice read there :mrgreen:

Last edited by goldfish on Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Profile Personal album  

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

330.00 Barrabucks
Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Snag central.

Great read mate well done again

Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

12,397.00 Barrabucks
Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Snag central.

Bit of self admiration ....... :roll:

Silver Member
Silver Member

300.00 Barrabucks
Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Snag central.

thanks for taking the time to do a write up. helps us that live interstate 8) if you could give a DUO REALIS PENCIL 110 SW a run that would be much appreciated :mrgreen: you wouldn't believe what happened to mine before i caught anything with it :banghead:

Seadog
Seadog

3,040.00 Barrabucks
Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Snag central.

Great with the rod and mighty with the pen, well done mate.

Profile Personal album  

Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

20,185.65 Barrabucks
Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Snag central.

I could take your mates up on a lap through here for a flick but might be a carton or 2 fee involved. ..lol

Maybe not. Mates and I have done our share of land-based fishing walking creeks and lagoons feeding into Roper downstream of Roper Bar. Rocky Point Xing on Hodgson springs to mind (upstream of bridge to the crossing). Came across a couple of nasties and good fish in there walking banks.

Lomaerium Lagoon, feeder cks and Long Lagoon plus cks east of St Vidgeon's. Also small creek that drains big wetlands opposite Kangaroo Is (in Arnhem Land). Pretty isolated in those areas but good LB fishing.

Was thinking more of people who haven't been there or don't live in barramundi areas.

Liked yr write-up and photos.

Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

4,910.00 Barrabucks
Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Snag central.

rip'n'tear wrote:
thanks for taking the time to do a write up. helps us that live interstate 8) if you could give a DUO REALIS PENCIL 110 SW a run that would be much appreciated :mrgreen: you wouldn't believe what happened to mine before i caught anything with it :banghead:

Well what happened to it? We're all dying to hear :?

If running that style of lures the ones i run are : heddon zara spook , rapala xwalk or cultiva tango dancers all have runs on the board up here and are strong enough to handle big barras.
Had a look online at them and they look OK but no full wire construction on the attachment points has me thinking that I'll stick with the others ones I've already tested out. NO good out there I was sending vibes and sinking lures under the logs that trip

They're great for attracting crocs when fishing at night in alot of my spots too. As this is a drama, they don't get much use by me particularly Landbased.
.... unless in the harbour or Manton Dam.

ronje wrote:
Came across a couple of nasties and good fish in there walking banks.... that's JUST PART OF THE FUN. Def gets the heart racing seeing an entire area erupt as you are too close to a big saltie that you never even saw but ran your lure over.

Lomaerium Lagoon, feeder cks and Long Lagoon plus cks east of St Vidgeon's. Also small creek that drains big wetlands opposite Kangaroo Is (in Arnhem Land). Pretty isolated in those areas but good LB fishing.
Was thinking more of people who haven't been there or don't live in barramundi areas.
Liked yr write-up and photos.

:mrgreen: no worries glad u enjoyed the post
Arnhemland is definitely the go.

I Left a set of rapala braid blades out there too . to anyone who finds them hope you get a few out of there while you're at it. I had to retie my rig a few times in that area.

Silver Member
Silver Member

300.00 Barrabucks
Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Snag central.

got it snagged across a junction and a 'gentleman' in another boat attempted to dislodge it with a rifle!!! I may have been watching Gong Lei too much hence i thought I'd give one a whirl. had 1 tango dancer and scored a couple in the bargain bin $5 apparently they're not as popular in Vic :)

Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

4,910.00 Barrabucks
Post Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Snag central.

rip'n'tear wrote:
got it snagged across a junction and a 'gentleman' in another boat attempted to dislodge it with a rifle!!! :

:lolpoint:

Nice shootin tex. :hunting:

Barramundi Fishing Board index » FFF North Australian Fishing Forums » Landbased Fishing Trip Reports

# Snag central. Previous topic | Next topic # 
 Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts