Best Shells?

Chasing pigs, buffalo, duck and geese. And deer, foxes, feral cats, rabbits ...
Acsle
Silver Member
Silver Member

Best Shells?

Post by Acsle »

Wanted to get everyone's thoughts on the most effective shotgun shell and choke size for shooting magpie geese?

Gibbsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Best Shells?

Post by Gibbsy »

Use winchester xperts high velocity steel shot in B.B. or if you can get it Federal Speed shock waterfowl load in B.B. I run number 3 and 4 chokes on a 30inch barrell have smashed plenty of geese over last 5 years shooting on my mates farms and at reserves. Flicken is right about shooting well. If you have to time to check patterning of shot once you have worked it out try to stick to that particular ammo once you chop and change amp throughout season you will be all over the shot for example was using federal speed shocks for years until had trouble getting them switched to Winchester experts and had to adjust for patterning and velocity. Oh and don’t run 1/2 size chokes with steel shot heard some bad stories good luck mate
Gibbsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gibbsy »

That is number 1 and number 2 size chokes
jonr
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jonr »

I think it’s 90 % about your shoooting and 10% ammo. I use the cheapers I can get Elle Bb or Reminton steel in 1.

I have no worry dropping heap of geese with the cheep stuff in 2 3/4 size. Open morning had bag by 10 past 6.

Jon

Return to “Hunter”