Dundee donuts!

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
Jeno
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Dundee donuts!

Post by Jeno »

G'day,

It's been quite a while since I did an actual fishing post so I thought it about time I did. I have been mainly fishing around the harbor this last 12 months or so and doing OK with catching fish for the table, the usual harbor mixed bag.

However the focus of this post is to share my frustration with fishing Dundee....now I know this is one of Darwin's prime fishing spots and I am well aware that many people do extremely well down there, I however am definitely not one of them.

I have only fished Dundee 3 times and each time I have pretty much drawn a zero. I have fished Bynoe with success and I always seem to do well down at the Peron Islands region....but Dundee...I just can't seem to find the fish. there is plenty of good ground, good marks etc...I go on good tides but can never seem to find bait fish shoals or any decent fish.

Last weekend we got juvenile sharks, couple of p o w e r t a i l and some small trevally....not even any cod....nothing!

So...I guess I am a bit frustrated to be honest....it is a long drive down there...cover plenty of miles on the water and just cant' seem to work that place out.

I often hear of people going wide.....just how wide is wide?

On another note....still plenty of weed down there, especially around the ramp.

No matter where you go, there you are!
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Dundee donuts!

Post by Matt Flynn »

I mainly fished Dundee's inshore waters back in the day, I hardly ever fished the wide grounds.

Big tides seem to be better there for bottom fish.

If you do fish in close, there's usually plenty of big macks, queenfish and trevally around Roche Reefs, also some snapper. Same deal up at Point Jenny and Blaze.

Maybe someone who fishes out wide there can offer some help.
Gibbsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gibbsy »

Roche, long lost, bowra, blaze down to perons. Like Matt said bigger tides is what I like. If bait fishing focus around turns of tide. Don’t just look on the fff marks looks around contour lines as well. You can fish 6m tides down that way with small lead and still reach bottom. On smaller tides I like drift fishing to cover ground and chasing pelagics. Mark up fish first and even to save you dropping anchor down 25-30metres mark a spot. Do a drift run over it. If you do alright on a couple of drift runs try and anchor up, or alternatively keep doing drift runs over spot. Good luck. Agent86 always does well down that way maybe send ask him for a few pointers
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

I fished Dundee last Sunday for the first time this year. We found plenty of Macks around sail city but were all monstered by big sharks only landing 2 from 12-13. We lost a lot of good reefie from blaze to sail from sharks. One mark we counted 8 , 2.5-3 m one around the boat . It's was crazy.
feeds
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by feeds »

Was that during the neaps balou?
Gibbsy
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Gibbsy »

Have had similar thing happen out long lost on heaps, you could see the sharks sitting just under surface and mackies below them if you hooked up sharked and had problem with sharks going for the jigs also. Biggest was about 2m though
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

feeds wrote:Was that during the neaps balou?
Nah building tides coming of the neaps
Jeno
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Jeno »

Thanks for the replies gents, I appreciate it.

I have mainly centered my efforts around Blaze and Pt Jenny....like I said lots of good ground just can't seem to find the fish! I will have a chat to the "Agent" and see if he can share any words of wisdom!
No matter where you go, there you are!