Harbour Goldies and bl..dy sharks.

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
CharFin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Harbour Goldies and bl..dy sharks.

Post by CharFin »

A friend from Alice came up on Wed on his way to Bali so we snuck in a quick Darwin harbour trip before he flew out. We ended up getting 6 goldies for the esky. 48cm was the biggest which is ok for a inner harbour fish. However after not catching any sharks for month's they were bl..dy everywhere and in spots I have never caught them before. No big ones just an annoying dozen or so small ones. Also thought I was onto something good but it was a metre+ barracuda.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Harbour Goldies and bl..dy sharks.

Post by Lats »

Nice tasty treats. I believe sharks move around in schools like any other fish. I have goldie marks where you dont catch a single shark in several trips. Then all of a sudden you need 2 sinkers to get your bait to the bottom so you dont get sharked on the way down
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Good fishing there mate , don't you just wish Shark tasted better :mrgreen:
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Good stuff. Goldies should always be photographed with a plate :chef2:

Interesting how the sharks come and go, they are either following a food source or come in to breed.
NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by NinjaFish »

I've always believed that the sharks followed the Snapper schools.

When I've found a reef with a bit of length where the school continually swims from one end to the other and back again (bites every hour or so) I've found that the hotter the bites get the more the sharks move in - as if they are right behind.

The old Marine World in Adelaide before it closed, and the aquarium at Hillarys near Perth proved to me that the shark followed the Snapper or were never far away. It seems to me they have preferred taste also and the bigger the Snapper, the bigger the shark.

Some days in the Harbour it's just one or the other and other days both.

Great catch close to home 8)