Who using flutter jigs...

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Who using flutter jigs...

Post by balou »

Ive always been a bait person with some gulps and octa jig thrown in. Recently I started using flutter jigs which have been amazing on the reef species.

I'm using the 100g storm or shimano jigs but find the assist hook seem to fray and fail very quickly. On Saturday I caught about 25 reefie and changed hooks 3 times.

Who using jigs and what your catch rate like?

Here the best of the 4 trouts landed for the day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

theodosius
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Who using flutter jigs...

Post by theodosius »

Never tried them but don't reef fish much
goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by goldfish »

Change out the dynema on the assist hooks to crimped on 150lb jinkai it will handle the teeth a bit better but it will still need to be replaced after a good day out.
Tight lines 'n' keep the shiny side up people.
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

I change the dyneema but not so heavy mono. I've also gone with wire trace but get less strikes.
I also add a stinger on the bottom hook for short strikes.
it seems like they watch it flutter down and then when you rip it up, boom
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

goldfish wrote:Change out the dynema on the assist hooks to crimped on 150lb jinkai it will handle the teeth a bit better but it will still need to be replaced after a good day out.
Tried using 80 lb mono but didn't really sit properly. Might look on utube how to crimp.

After last weekend was thinking of going to jaycar and get heat shrink to cover the dynema completely.
ghound
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by ghound »

Hi Mate

You know me very little finesse but I have been using them a bit I just use a double split ring on the bottom with a 4/0 hook on it. I Have not noticed any difference in the fish catching ability.
balou
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by balou »

ghound wrote:Hi Mate

You know me very little finesse but I have been using them a bit I just use a double split ring on the bottom with a 4/0 hook on it. I Have not noticed any difference in the fish catching ability.
Hi Jimmy

Does the hook on the bottom cause many snags?

I find 2 lifts of the rod and let it sit on the bottom for a sip of beer then repeat works best.
mako
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by mako »

Have caught reefish on Maribou Jigs laying on the bottom then whipped up off the bottom...standing jigs could work to reduce snags.
FITZY
Seadog
Seadog

Post by FITZY »

I mainly use the Gomoku slow rocker Jigs in Black Zebra red colour . I remove the Assist hook and ring and slide a small piece of clear tubing over the dakron which protects it from fraying . I was shown this from the guys on Nomad Charters and it works a treat . They even use clear heat shrink