Leader's Jewie

Jewies, big reds, macks & more - tell us how you went. NT, FNQ and Norwest.
lbaker35
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Leader's Jewie

Post by lbaker35 »

Well, I finally have something worth sharing with everyone out there. After obtaining a leave pass to do a night trip my mate and I headed out in his very flash 'new to him' boat to Leader's with the intention of trying to get out to Cape Hotham. That wasn't to be as the mouth of leader's on Saturday afternoon had a fair swell coming through so we moved back up to just upstream of the small creek entrance, dropped anchor and had a beer (what else?). Rods were out in anticipation of some good action even though the reports from the ramp suggested otherwise. The Powertail were on as usual so when something a bit bigger took a small run on my barra rod I thought "Here we go again!" but this fish had much more to say. A hundred metres of line later I guessed it probably wasn't a Powertail but never having caught a jewie before I wasn't sure that this was one either. Slowly worked on getting some line back in and after a couple of laps under and around the boat it took off again this time the spool looked really empty and I thought I might lose it. Again over time it came back in and we could see the trace when suddenly, this great silver head came up out of the water. Now the adrenalin kicked in and the fish was netted and the two of us lifted it into the boat. 16kg and 120cm Awesome! 8-) I looked at the hook and this massive fish was pinned with a 2/0 hook in the corner of the lip and took a squid bait. Needless to say I had to sit at the front of the boat until the swelling went down and apart from one other run that didn't hook up we didn't turn a reel for the rest of the night. Just goes to show that there is some truth in the old adage "big hooks catch big fish but small hooks catch all fish".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Brent Matthews
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Brent Matthews »

Well done on you first Jewie, especially on barra gear. :applause:

Nice to see you've come out of the closet and made a post! Fishless reports are just as good as fishy ones...
Cheers
BD

'May your fishing spots be silted and your hooks on backwards'
drifter
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by drifter »

all I can say is.......what........a.........stonker........... :clap: :clap: :clap:
cjgp
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by cjgp »

Good fish and good pics, but I would have told everyone it was 122!! You gotta love leaders hey,

Chris
sean ferme
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by sean ferme »

Well done lbaker35 the jewies are a great fish ,they go hard and are great to chew on. So well done mate!!
cheers Fermy :cheers:
GO THE CATS!!!!
www.fishkids.com.au
timwicks
Seadog
Seadog

Post by timwicks »

Geez mate those photos came out alright. Thanks for blooding the 'new' boat with a ripper fish, though of course my netting skills were a big part of it :P :P :P

Seriously though, it was a massive thrill to be there; seeing that monster come up out of the dirty water got the old ticker racing. :grin: :grin: :grin:

You forgot to mention the brand new jewie rod that caught you sweet FA. :catch: :catch: :catch:
Good on ya
cheers
tim
Wicksy

“I think I got off on the wrong planet. Beam me up Scotty, there's no rational life here."
--- Robert Anton Wilson
Dyslexics Of The World Untie.
COOPS
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by COOPS »

great work to get him on the barra rod mate,
bout time
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by bout time »

She's a ripper a few nice fillets off that bugger! nice work!!! :mrgreen:
fff1964
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Yep good work

Post by fff1964 »

Its a beauty mate and on light gear, great stuff.
Buckaneer2
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Buckaneer2 »

Gongrats on your first jewie mate, they sure pull hard on barra gear.

I suppose you had the new jew rod set as well. You should know the bigger ones always hit the lighter gear. One of Murphys laws.
:cheers:
Smile, be happy & go fishing.

Work is getting in the way of my fishing.
My boss says fishing is getting in the way of my work.
I will soon fix both of our problems by quitting.
meterclubwannabe
Seadog
Seadog

Post by meterclubwannabe »

That's a cracking great fish Well done on your first jewie! :bow: :mrgreen:
Cheers MCWB
------------------------
no longer a wannabe....indaclub 15 april 2009 and stoked!
lbaker35
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Cheers

Post by lbaker35 »

Thanks for all the positive responses. On a slightly different note I sent the photo in to the Sun Newspaper and guess what I won an Engel Fridge. Another great catch! :drinking2:
Mud
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Leader's Jewie

Post by Mud »

sweet!!
Its not a crisis unless there is blood around.
If there is blood around......well its a police matter...
UNCLDUG
Seadog
Seadog

Post by UNCLDUG »

:applause: :applause: :applause: Congratulations lbaker35 , thats one mighty fine fish , and on light gear , awsome effort 8) 8) 8)
uniball
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by uniball »

nice work mate! i think i might know the spot you were at. that place is good for most species. And jewies on jewie gear is boring, real men use barra gear on everything :)

well done!