Be a Territory barramundi guide

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Be a Territory barramundi guide

Post by Matt Flynn »

Most keen fishos have considered working as a fishing guide.
After all, what better than to turn a sporting pursuit into a living?
If you like the idea of being Territory barramundi guide, there has never been a better opportunity.
Leading Territory guide Justin Jones (pictured below) is selling his business after almost 20 years fishing the Top End and Kimberley.
Not only is Justin good at catching fish, he is a good photographer.
His pictures have helped promote NT fishing tourism and made Obsession Fishing Safaris a household name among fishos.
Jonesy has also won multiple Barra Classic and Barra Nationals as a member of the Classic Warlocks team.
Obsession was started by Darwin real estate identity Braden Menzies, who also earned a good reputation as a guide.
Jonesy bought the business and took it to the next level, with his clients taking more than 400 metre-long barra over the past 20 years.
Jonesy himself has caught about 45 meteries. So the new owner has big shoes to fill.
Training is offered to whoever takes over.
Darwin-born Justin says the NT fishing scene has changed a lot during his life, even during his time as a professional guide.
He remembers splashing around on the banks of Browns Creek as a toddler, before the crocodile population rebounded.
"Things have changed greatly. When I bought the business from Braden in 2003, hardly anyone fished the Finniss River," Justin said.
"Now it is a very busy river at times.
"There was no one fishing Dundee much then either, and now there are lots of tourists and caravans during the dry season.
"And you would hardly see a boat at Marsh Creek in Chambers Bay."
He said Top End fishing was still superb.
"The commercial gill nets have mostly gone now and there are plenty of fish - barramundi fishing quality is all about the wet seasons now," he said.
"Big threadfin salmon have made a huge comeback since the nets were pulled out of Shady Camp."
While Jonesy still enjoys the Territory, he wants a change, and his wife Esther misses her home in New Zealand.
"Where I am going in New Zealand they have striped marlin, yellowtail kingfish, snapper, trout and more," he said.
"So I am looking forward to fishing there. I am going to have a break from guiding and enjoy fishing for myself.
"And if it doesn’t work out over there, I can always come back to the Territory."
What sort of lifestyle can a fishing guide expect?
"It is a great lifestyle, but you will never be rich from it," Jonesy said.
"It has pros and cons. The cons are when there are poor wet seasons and the fishing is tough.
"The pros are that you see unbelievable action when it all happens.
"Generally I start work at 5am for the city pickup, then there is a one or two-hour drive to the location.
"We fish until 3pm, then I drop the clients back at 5pm, then go home to clean the boat and car."
I asked him how he planned his clients' trips.
"I base my trips on what the tides are doing," he said.
"When tides are coming off new moons and full moons I go to billabongs, and then for neap tides I go to the Finniss River, and then on building tides I go to Bynoe Harbour."
Justin said that in 20 years his boat had never broken down.
"But I have had to tow a few home," he said.
Look Justin up on his Obsession Fishing Safaris website, or on Facebook.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ozdodge
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Be a Territory barramundi guide

Post by ozdodge »

I've fished with Obsession under both Braden's and Justin's operation, and have always seen Obsession as the benchmark in Top End barra (and other species) guiding.

Whenever new people come to town, or when people have friends coming up from South, I can always happily steer them towards Obsession, knowing they'll get a quality service for their hard earned coin.

Justin is a lovely bloke, always happy to have a chat and share advice when I see him on the water - and when I do see him on the water, it fills me with confidence because if Justin's there, then I've made the right decision to fish that spot on that day on that tide. 8)

I hope someone good picks up what is a ripper local business, and best wishes Justin for the next stage in your life. :cheers:

cheers
ozdodge

Don't crowd me - I'm likely to bite!
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Agree with all you said ozdodge :mrgreen:
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by nomad »

You arent buying a charter business, you are buying a people business that fishes!
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Bump ... Obsession Fishing Safaris is still up for sale.
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

I wish I had the knowledge to make it work
Anglers Choice
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Anglers Choice »

Sad to see Justin leaving the industry and the Top End.