Darwin croc map 2017

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Darwin croc map 2017

Post by Matt Flynn »

Parks and Wildlife Commission of the Northern Territory Press Release

Saltwater crocodile captures in April 7, 2017

The Parks and Wildlife Commission NT (PWCNT) have trapped 114 saltwater crocodiles so far in 2017, more than double the 53 they had collected at this time last year.

“There have been over fifty captures in March alone and the biggest we have trapped so far this year was 4.2m,” said PWCNT Crocodile Management, Chief Wildlife Ranger Tom Nichols.

The 4.2m salty was caught in the Southport trap, this trap is only 400 metres from a public boat ramp and it was the second crocodile over 4 metres captured in that trap this month.

The Crocodile Management Team also has evidence that people have been interfering with traps.

This is an inherently unsafe thing to do and undermines the hard work of the crocodile management unit in keeping Territorians safe from crocodiles.

“We discovered that at four different traps, where crocodiles had triggered the trap doors, persons unknown to us, have in fact tampered with the device to open the traps and subsequently release the animals,” Mr Nichols said.

Under the Territory Parks and Wildlife Conservation Act it is an offence to touch, stand on, enter, move or disturb a Commission crocodile trap. Doing so may result in a penalty ranging between $502 (infringement) to a maximum penalty of $7,700 or 6 months imprisonment (prosecutable offence).

“Crocs are on the move and can be in any waterway so Be Crocwise. With the Easter break coming up and the dry season around the corner, we urge everyone to be smart and sensible at all times,” added Mr Nichols.

Please see attached map of crocodile trapping locations and numbers for 2017.

For up-to-date information and more details on previous years crocodile numbers visit https://nt.gov.au/emergency/community-s ... e-captures

The Northern Territory Be Crocwise strategy can be viewed online at http://www.becrocwise.nt.gov.au

To report saltwater crocodile sightings in the Darwin region phone 0419 822 859 or in the Katherine region phone 0407 958 405.

For up-to-date information regarding access to parks and reserves administered by the Parks and Wildlife Commission visit http://nt.gov.au/leisure/parks-reserves
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pagey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Darwin croc map 2017

Post by pagey »

I dont argue that the population is increasing but the effort has also increased ten fold over the past 15-20yrs with regard to physical trapping. It only stands to reason that catch rates are proportionally higher. You could count the number of traps in the harbour on one hand.

While I agree with the concept of more trapping, the population is getting huge.

Sometimes I think there is a little chest bashing and media hype when it comes to reporting "increased" numbers vs previous years.

I love seeing a big croc in nature just as much as the next bloke. If you dont like it stay out of their domain.
a day at work is a day wasted
Silence is Golden, and Duct tape is SILVER

"Fool proof systems do not take into account the ingenuity of fools." -Ken Clayton

'When the world is made to be idiot-proof, the world will become overpopulated with idiots.'
Once Bitten
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Once Bitten »

Not sure about "chest bashing" - just fact that the numbers of crocks out there have exploded, and will continue to grow exponentially given the low capture rate to growth rate, especially in the non-capture / patrolled zones. It's likely that they are just trying to sell the point to get more resources from the NTG as the whole croc thing is a real growing market - so to speak...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{ ... <NAUGHTY{

My missus wants to buy me a GoPro...she said I need it... It's like a black box recorder for fishos...
goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by goldfish »

Pic of the rangers parked at lizzy r ramp no parking sign in the background. Right where you swing around to line the trailer up.

Top stuff fellas.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tight lines 'n' keep the shiny side up people.