Continuing the golden run

Your home if you fish from anything that isn't floating.
Young_gun_fisho
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Continuing the golden run

Post by Young_gun_fisho »

Back at the wall again, and again found success. Started off the morning with not much activity, before about an hour later near on being spooled by what we think was a huge shovelnose, saw the bottom of the spool before it busted off. My mate also lost what we think was a big Trev, as it fought like a typical trevally before dusting him on the rocks. After another hour, my bait went off again, and this time I felt the powerful runs of a decent Trev. I fought desperately to keep the beast's head up, feeling the line touch rocks a couple of times, and my mate even came in clutch by lifting the line above the rocks in the final stages, saving me. A Darwin harbour cruise boat even stopped to watch us. Eventually, my mate tailed it and we got a couple of photos before the release. By no means the biggest I have ever seen caught, but for me it is one of my favourite catches this year as catching a good Trev Landbased has been my ultimate goal. To finish it off, my mate caught a whaler shark around 1.4m which we got to the rocks before releasing safely. A good day, showing that the larrakia rockwall is a gift that keeps on giving. :mrgreen:
PSX_20191216_104905.jpg
PSX_20191216_110817.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NinjaFish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: Continuing the golden run

Post by NinjaFish »

Nice. Would be a good spot for using poppers on a calm night.

I shouldn’t mention a fella I know regularly catches Barra in the 80’s on 3-3.5m tides using prawn imitations over there. :D
Young_gun_fisho
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

NinjaFish wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:53 pm Nice. Would be a good spot for using poppers on a calm night.

I shouldn’t mention a fella I know regularly catches Barra in the 80’s on 3-3.5m tides using prawn imitations over there. :D
My mate and I have seen barra there twice while we've been there, around the 60cm mark. Wouldn't mind some chrome for the freezer 8)
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

Nice work mate. Definitely some line burners swimming past there
Young_gun_fisho
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Cheers lats
Lats
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Lats »

During dry season if you have some 30-50lb tackle, catch a small moses perch, goldie, bream etc and stick it under a balloon on the run in tide during neaps from the end of the wall. Big spanyards and cuda move along there
Young_gun_fisho
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Lats wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:49 pm During dry season if you have some 30-50lb tackle, catch a small moses perch, goldie, bream etc and stick it under a balloon on the run in tide during neaps from the end of the wall. Big spanyards and cuda move along there
Cheers lats, will give that a try. Have only fished the wall 4 times including today, and so far it's produced every time bar once. We were just using 40/50lb gear today, handled this Trev alright, and my mate landed his shark on 50lb on his 6000 saragosa. I reckon the biggest downside to using big fish baits is the potential by catch, such as the thing that pretty much spooled me today.
Young_gun_fisho
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Flickin4em wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:09 pm Nice trev for down there. Well done. :mrgreen:

Gotta be in it to win it tho with big livies YG. you just have to battle through the bycatch.... literally. I take spare braid if dangling serious baits. Some BIG uncatchables in our harbour that you won't be able to get even a look at on even heavier gear they will spool a 20w with 80lb on it no worries especially on bigger tides with more current. Even more so if sending your balloon a fair way out too before the strike. Getting the perfect wind direction is not critcial but definitely helpful for this option.
Thanks Flickin, yeah not wrong there's some big buggers in the harbour, especially around that rockwall. Ive lost count of how many times we've been dusted there so far, and like I said, it's only been four times we've been there. Good thing is, we don't mind the fight as long as we get our line back and don't lose ridiculous amounts of tackle lol.
Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Matt Flynn »

Nice work. Gotta be some decent chrome there too. And milkies.
jeffish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by jeffish »

Nice Fish Young Gun ,, You'll have that spot wired in no time 8) 8) 8)
Young_gun_fisho
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks lads, hope to get a few more good fish from there this holidays.