Mandorah jetty

Your home if you fish from anything that isn't floating.
Young_gun_fisho
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Mandorah jetty

Post by Young_gun_fisho »

Went to Mandorah on the weekend with some mates, got jack all. Busted off about 11 times total (everyone) and i was on the receiving end of 2 of them, as well as being snipped on live stripy by a big mack or shark. Unclear what kept busting us off, we used squid and mullet chunks. Any ideas as to what it might have been, or any advice for heavy gear for mandorah or tips on landing fish would be appreciated. Probably one of the more fustrating trips i have been on :banghead:

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Mandorah jetty

Post by Matt Flynn »

Hard to say,, sharks, groper, bunyips?
Young_gun_fisho
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yeah, now looking for an overhead or big spin reel that can handle the things there.
Acsle
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Acsle »

User live sardines or mullet strips. Banana prawns work really well to. In terms of powerful enough rods/reels I recommend Fin-Nor Offshore Spinning Reels. The models from OF65 up have 27.2 kg of drag. They're fairly priced as well ($169 at BCF). For the rod go 6 foot or 6'6 8 - 15 kg. I use a Silstar 8 - 15 kg however with a Penn 750 SSM (they only have 5 kg drag) and have pulled up some big fish there. Use 40lb line and 60 - 80 lb leader. For macks or sharks - any wire trace that is 30+ kg rated. Ichiban hooks (I sell them if you're interested) size 6 or Maikuro size 7 hooks are best.

Landing the fish you need someone on the stairs or.......use a crab pot with extended line. Any small to medium fish use size 4000 reel with 30 lb line and 60 lb leader. In the dry there is usually sardine gathering at the bottom of the jetty. Get a drawstring cast net and cast for a few. Attach a float to the live sardine and yall good to go.
Young_gun_fisho
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks for the advice. Sounds good
simonbradford80
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by simonbradford80 »

Live crabs off the length out to the end. Throw them out looking towards the entrance of the harbour.
Hold on !!!!
Trevally, Tuskies, Trevally, Trevally!!!!!!!