Heading to Nhulunbuy...

Your home if you fish from anything that isn't floating.
The Doctor
Gold Member
Gold Member

Heading to Nhulunbuy...

Post by The Doctor »

So I'm heading to Nhulunbuy for the 1st time for a few weeks next months for work, are there any landbased spots around town?

Will have a car sometimes but more often a pushbike.

Did some search and gathered both ends of the East Woody might be alright. What about the rockwall just outside the surf life saving club?

Would appreciate anyone who fished around the town to share some knowledge.

Matt Flynn
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Heading to Nhulunbuy...

Post by Matt Flynn »

I never fished around the town much but I did fish headlands and beaches at Cape Arnhem, and the Bauxite Shelf. You'll need a permit to go out there, and a 4WD. There are spots there like Port Bradshaw that require extra permission that can be brilliant for sight fishing pelagics like queenies and trevs.

Had to laugh though, fished a creek in the middle of nowhere, bloke said no one fished there and I pulled in a big birds nest of line and lures off one of the main snags :D
MR126
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MR126 »

The sand split between the export and cargo wharfs at low tide is great place extra large queenfish and GT's.
The causeway near the yacht/boat club for barra
Red cliffs around from the surf club for barra.
goldfish
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by goldfish »

Put wonga ck and cape Arnhem ( both are special permit areas) on the to do list and get a dhimirru permit then pay the extra costs to book into this area if available ... north river, dalywoi bay and maccassans would have to be in there too they're covered in the general dhimirru areas permit

All are within a day trip but better if you have at least a night out there as the tracks are a bit cr.p. There's a steep hill leading through a rocky crossing of the Giddy river just above the falls, this shortcut will save a fair bit of time to get out to wonga but can be a bit tricky for a few each year. It's definitely not one for the work ute though ....

Off the pushy I'd try croc creek mouth and the town beach : after passing the golf club turn right and park at the end. Buff ck mouth past the surf club and nearby red cliffs (on the other side ) headland can be easily accessed after crossing the creek at low then walking back towards rainbow cliffs you'll be needing a seriously well setup 4wd vehicle to drive the track to here that time of year. Think a couple of km of clay then another of 800m to a km through the paperbarks with huge mud ruts, 100m holes with water over the bonnet by mid February...just easier to walk then not have a car to clean too.

Areas around yirrakala and their tracks to rocky bay are good but you'll need specific signed permission for anywhere around here.

Unweighted livies will easily outperform most lures by a good margin as the tides are tiny and water is usually crystal clear... Trout were a regular LB capture as well as solid jacks and metre queenies for us 10 years back. Barra are still around but not in huge numbers for most anglers over that way. Take spare line in your kit as groper are regularly encountered and will eat your hooked 80cm fish or big xraps without a 2nd thought.

Good luck
Tight lines 'n' keep the shiny side up people.
The Doctor
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Doctor »

Thanks fellas! Big help! :mrgreen:
Will post some photos if I have any success :catch: