milkies

Your home if you fish from anything that isn't floating.
leopard
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

milkies

Post by leopard »

i am keen to get out tomorrow and try the spot in between the larrakeyah base and doctors gully. does anyone have any tips for getting a milkie out of there or even a spot that might work better??, cheers :)

the rat king :
NAUGHTY<((((NAUGHTY:
nomad
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Re: milkies

Post by nomad »

I've never targeted them but don't go in the no go zone
Tap'n'Zap
Seadog
Seadog

Post by Tap'n'Zap »

Mate go towards the barracks and then take the last left before you get to the boom gate. There is a car park straight ahead, from the carpark there is a track that takes you down to the water(you will see a concrete shed). At the water you will see a sign to your left which states you can't fish beyond there. I fish about 50 to 100 m from there. Best to fish on out going tide(neaps) slowly burly with bread(not too much as the fish will follow the bread out to sea) Normally takes 30-60min for the milkies and diamond mullet to turn up. Haven't done it myself for over 15 odd years so not sure if anything has changed down that way. Good Luck.
leopard
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by leopard »

cheers for the info tap'n'zap but lately some of my mates were fishing there and they had police officers tell them to leave :( . is there any other spots where people have seen or caught them around the city area?, cheers :)
the rat king :
NAUGHTY<((((NAUGHTY:
Andy Grey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Andy Grey »

Doctors gully..go left from the carpark past the sign. Burley up incoming tide..neaps..2.5mtr low to 6mtr high. 2.5 hours after low. Walk out (not in wet season) to waist deep water. Barra gear...4' o hook, leader with some vaseline on it (helps it float) don't ball your bread on the hook just light tear a piece and hook on. Wait till the biggest ones come in right near you and hand your bread to it or cast out about a couple of meters. When you hook one hang the F..K on! and be prepared for the fight of your life. Oh yeah make sure you got 150mtrs or more of line capacity as you will need it. My best 9kg and the thing was still flipping around in my arms after a blistering 45 mins. Best land based fun in the NT Imo. Good luck.
http:www.andrewgreyphotography.com.au
leopard
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by leopard »

cheers for the info im definitely not using anything less than a 3000 sized reel i spotted a milky at the wharf and some how hooked up to it :rofl: didnt take very long until i could see most of the spool so i had to just pop it :( keen to land one soon :mrgreen:
the rat king :
NAUGHTY<((((NAUGHTY:
Andy Grey
Jedi Seadog
Jedi Seadog

Post by Andy Grey »

Any luck yet Leopard? Wednesday just past was an awesome day for it ...calm as and perfect tides. Shame i had to work all day.
http:www.andrewgreyphotography.com.au
leopard
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by leopard »

i ended up going to the spot between doctors gully and the army base, there was only 2 or 3 seen all day but nothing landed other than some big mullet and bream. was there on the wrong tides and the half hour before we left was just about high tide and that was pretty much when all of the milkies were spotted.
the rat king :
NAUGHTY<((((NAUGHTY:

Return to “Landbased”